Getting started Live sand/rock questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike0513

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
Me and my dad have been doing fresh water tanks and decided we want to do a 75 gallon SW tank. We've heard bigger tanks are easier to take care of because of the larger water volume. I have heard that if you set your tank up with live rocks and live sand that your tank will basically take care of itself other than top offs and water changes. Is this true? It seems to good to be true haha.

Thanks for any help or advice!
Mike

Mike, yes bigger is better and once you have gone through the "Cycle" and the early tank problems ( diatoms, cyano and other problem algaes) it's mostly regular PWC(partial water changes) and not over populating your tank.

does having live sand and live rock make it easier or harder to care for? or does it make a difference?

All TRUE (to a point)/ LR and LS are your biologial filter. A sump can hold equipment and quality protein skimmer. A refugium (can be part of the sump) can hold macro algae for nutrient export and several types of benefical critters (amphipods and copepods).

Here's some good starter material for you:

Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank (STARTING OUT)

How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish

Quarantine and this one too

PWCs done often are still the best way to maintain a tank.

the live rock and live sand basically act as your filter. kinda like a hang on back filter in a fresh water tank. from there it depends on what you keep in your tank that will determine the maintance requirement.

if you keep just fish your looking at feeding, water changing, glass cleaning. if you start adding coral you get into skimming and dosing. not that it is hard to do. but just requires a little more time and patiance and research.

Thanks for the quick responses guys..alot of help...just one thing for now...does LR make your tank easier to care for? because i dont really see a yes or no answer here.

Thanks again!

YES! and NO! It replaces a cannister filter so you don't have that maintenance. But, when you do PWCs it's a good idea to use a tyrkey baster or power head to blow debris and sand off the LR, or use a piece of tubing to siphon it off was you pull water out.

so i dont have extra filters to worry about PWC just take more time if i have it...i think i got it.

Thanks again...ill be asking more question when we get home from mexico and go out to buy everything

Back
Top Bottom