Getting started...Need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kylebacc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey,

I have a 29gal tank that I would like to setup for a reef. I have sort of half ass done this before, but I would like to do as much as I can right this time. What I am really looking for at this point is recommendations for my size tank. Here's what I need/want:

MH lighting. I currently have PC. What would be a good all in one setup? I want daytime, atinic, and nightime (lunar). Is there something that is "bolt on" for lack of a better expression. Or does it all have to be pieced together?

I have lots of tropic marin salt left over, I know this is a fight waiting to happen, but I just want to know the quality of it, if I need to add stuff to it (to feed some basic soft corals and whatnot). I don't really care how it matches up to IO or Oceanic lol, just tell me what it takes to make it work.

I have a prebuilt sump from my lfs that I would like to continue using. It has blue bioballs, which I have read thus far are not preferred. There is also a filter right before the water actually gets into the sump, should I keep that? It's just like some cheap flossy, cottony stuff. What do you think? Should the bioballs be replaced with lr?

Now my major question: If my last tank was left to "rot" per se, and about 85% of the water has evaporated from the tank (left as it was, just with everything shut off), would it be acceptable to take the 70lbs of lr, scrub it down thoroughly, rinse thoroughly, and reuse it as base rock? How much "live" live rock would I have to add to get this rock back up cured and running altogether? Or should this be taken back to my xLFS who I hate and sold to them as good stuff? :twisted: Or thrown away lol.

Another thing is, when going to purchase sand, I was thinking of going to home depot like many have done, and taken vinegar to work out which (if any) sand is aragonite. Would this be seen as an accurate way of choosing sand? Or should I just overpay up the whazu for the "live" sand that is at my LFS in 25lb bags?

Also, can someone recommend a good protein skimmer for this size tank?

Thanks a whole lot for any and all of your input, I have learned everything I know from this site and books :D

Kyle

I have a 29gal tank that I would like to setup for a reef. I have sort of half *beep* done this before, but I would like to do as much as I can right this time. What I am really looking for at this point is recommendations for my size tank. Here's what I need/want:

Only use MH lighting if you want corals that demand it. Any 150w fixture will do. The way it sounds, just stay away from a retro kit.

I have lots of tropic marin salt left over, I know this is a fight waiting to happen, but I just want to know the quality of it, if I need to add stuff to it (to feed some basic soft corals and whatnot). I don't really care how it matches up to IO or Oceanic lol, just tell me what it takes to make it work.

For most corals, you do not need to do anything to it to make it work. These salts would not be around if they did not work. You can keep a lot of corals with IO and not supplement. You do not have to have 450 Ca and 12 dkh alk. Unless you have high light demanding corals or clams(which you should wait on), any salt will be fine. I have never used tropic marin but never heard anything bad. I have had good results with Red Sea pro and Oceanic with my high SPS and clam dominated tank.

I have a prebuilt sump from my lfs that I would like to continue using. It has blue bioballs, which I have read thus far are not preferred. There is also a filter right before the water actually gets into the sump, should I keep that? It's just like some cheap flossy, cottony stuff. What do you think? Should the bioballs be replaced with lr?

Take all that stuff out. You can use LR in the sump if you have room.

Now my major question: If my last tank was left to "rot" per se, and about 85% of the water has evaporated from the tank (left as it was, just with everything shut off), would it be acceptable to take the 70lbs of lr, scrub it down thoroughly, rinse thoroughly, and reuse it as base rock?

Not sure how rotten in got but you might be able to re-use it as base rock. You could boil it and start anew. If the tank was not too bad, I would re-use it but only you know how "rotten" it is. Might be a nice cycle starter.

Skip the sand at HD. They won't have any aragonite any more, IMO. Just find a LFS or have some shipped. Some places are not too bad to have it shipped from. Start with the right sand and don't worry.

Aqua C and ASM skimmers are good. Lots of others too. If the tank is a 29 gal, shoot for a skimmer rated twice that. I have a local place that built my skimmer. There are lots of options. I think needle wheels are the way to go but you might be limited by where it sits.

HTH

ok thanks a lot! Anyone know of the best (as in cheapest) place to get arag sand online?

kylebacc said:
ok thanks a lot! Anyone know of the best (as in cheapest) place to get arag sand online?

drsfostersmith.com doesn't charge extra for heavy items like salt mix or sand - your shipping charges are based only on how much you spend.

Back
Top Bottom