Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2005, 01:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Getting Started New Tank

I am new to saltwater aquariums. I have been doing research and bought books but thought i would ask for some advice.

I have a 30 gallon tank and want to keep fish and coral in the tank.

I thought of buying an emporor Powerfilter 400 w\bio wheel for my filter. Might buy an undergravel filter also. pushed by two powerheads for reverse filtration. is this a good idea for a 30 gallon tank.

I am going to buy live sand for my tank bed and about 30 pounds of live rock.

I was going to get a Berlin Air-lift protein skimmer for a 50 gallon tank.

Any suggestion would be great kind of on a limited budget right now but from books i have read this will be good. But sometimes books are not always correct. any information you can give me would be great

Thanks

Old 07-08-2005, 01:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
Quote:
I thought of buying an emporor Powerfilter 400 w\bio wheel for my filter. Might buy an undergravel filter also. pushed by two powerheads for reverse filtration. is this a good idea for a 30 gallon tank.
Good filter for the tank, gives you lots of options for filter media. I would skip the UGF and do a LS bed directly on the bottom. A couple powerheads for movemet are great.
Quote:
I have a 30 gallon tank and want to keep fish and coral in the tank.
Any ideas on lighting?

Old 07-08-2005, 01:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Getting Started New Tank

Good I did not really want to get an UGF anyway. I will purchase to Powersweep powerheads then.

I have no idea about lighting I know i have to buy a whole new hood for my aquarium any advice on what to get for a coral and fish tank.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I will purchase to Powersweep powerheads then.
Powersweeps are okay, but they are bulky and have a tendency for failure. I would look into maxi-jet powerheads instead.
Quote:
I have no idea about lighting I know i have to buy a whole new hood for my aquarium any advice on what to get for a coral and fish tank.
This is where research really pays off. You need to first decide what types of corals you plan on keeping. Soft corals and most LPS corals require moderate light. You could get by just fine with CF lighting. It is a step above NO ligting. If you have a desire to keep clams, SPS coral and anemones, you should consider more intense lighting as the animals require it. MH is a better option. A single MH pendant over a 30 gal would be nice. Lighting can be confussing and it is exspensive so you only want to do it once.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks alot for the help. I am going to set my tank up with the live sand and live rock to cycle the tank any tips you can give me to make this a smooth experience would be great!
Old 07-08-2005, 02:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cycling with LR/LS is a good plan. I would consider using a cocktail shrimp from the grocery store as well to jump-start things. Have you looked at www.liverocks.com for LR? Grea price, great rock and great service.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Have not looked into it. I am about a month away from setting up the tank. I can cure the live rock while starting the aquarium right. I have read on here that you need to feed the live rock during this process. What specificaly do you use for food a name brand if you know of any and how often do you do this. I am just trying to get all my ducks in a row before i go bezerck on this.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

definitely go with the maxi-jets. they're extremely reliable and versatile powerheads. order online though, as LFS's and even bigger retail pets stores will charge 2 - 3 times more than, say drs foster smith.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

How many pounds of live sand should i get for a 30 gallon tank?

Tags
started, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com