Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2005, 08:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to fishman2
ok can someone point me in the right direction for some lights.

my tank is 36inchs long and 12.5 inchs wide what type lights do
i need -----im lost

Old 02-14-2005, 06:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Current-USA or Corallife

Old 02-14-2005, 08:49 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
ok can someone point me in the right direction for some lights.
www.captivereefs.com has a great selection. Darin is a member and sponsor of this fine site. Might I also suggest getting a good book. I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. Good luck and...
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
Old 02-17-2005, 12:30 AM   #14

thanks we finally got are tank set up. we bought two damsels and they seem very happy and are eating good.

we bought 40ibs of reef bones and some live rock

what do live rock do and do they require much light??
Old 02-17-2005, 09:52 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you cycling your tank using the damsels? Honestly, this is an outdated practic and is very hard on the fish. Besides, damsels are very aggressive fish and many aquarists want to get rid of them before adding other livestock to the tank. There is a great arcticel on "fishless Cycling" in the Articles section at the top of the page. I suggest taking the damsels back and cycling using this method. LR provides what is known as biological filtration in the tank. It provides a great environment for benificial bacteria to grow. These bacteria help maintain a hight water quality. There is no better filter for the home aquarium then 1.5-2lbs/gal of LR. You do not need any special lighting for your LR to get the great benefits of it's biofiltration. However, better lighting will help with the visable life on the LR. Things like coraline algea will benifit from a good lighting system and eventually cover your rock in colors of purple, blue and red.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:35 PM   #16

we let are tank cycle for like a week anda half before adding fish i hope this was long enough, was it?--sholuld i take the fish back?-- they seem very happy. please reply
Old 02-17-2005, 10:16 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

what are your current water parameters?
Old 02-17-2005, 10:43 PM   #18

im not sure of the ph but the water gravity?? was between .023 and .022

ive noticed on my live rocks they are some kind of little centipede looking creatures on the rocks moving about are these safe for the tank and what are they

thanks for the replies
Old 02-17-2005, 10:50 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should really get test kits for the basics...ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph, CA and Alk. Your SG should be fine between 1.022-1.025. For a FOWLR tank you can take it down to 1.019 if you want. Hard to say about the life on the LR. Could be a bristle worm or some type of Pod. Both just fine for your tank.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:20 PM   #20

i will buy a test kit this weekend and post back on the results

i ve had freshwater tanks for years still have a 55gallon with tropheus and a hap mori and several other cichlids.

this is my first saltwater tank and so far i am loving it I guess just like other tanks one has to be careful what fish he or she choses.

I only have a 40 gl so i guess i will be limited on the # of these beautiful fish i can get but as i am seeing they are so many different things live rock-snails-star fish to pick from

just having fun with it
this is a great forum and thank you so much for the replies and all of the help thanks!

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, started, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com