Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2006, 10:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Getting Started questions

Hi all:

I finally decided to go from FW to SW with a 55gal tank. My plans are to start out with a FO with some reef rock for the natural look. I want to seed it with some LR until the rest of it goes live for a FOwLR, and then eventually, move all the way into a reef environment. Of course, all of this as I can afford the upgrades necessary to keep coral (i.e. one upgrade at a time)

I have about 45 pounds of Reef Rock in now, about 15 pounds of LR for seeding, about a 2" of live sand on top of a 2" base of crushed coral to keep too many rock slides from happening as the sand disintegrates.

I have a couple of questions:

1) do I need any sort of an outside box filter (already have the Protein Skimmer) with bio-filtering media? I have an old hang-on box filter that I can take the carbon out of and use the bio-media.

2) What counts in the amount of "flow" equation? In other words, I know I am looking for at least 500gph + of flow to start off with. Is this only measured by the flow provided by Powerheads and such, or can I use the old box filter, sans media, to bump up the flow rate?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
Quote:
do I need any sort of an outside box filter (already have the Protein Skimmer) with bio-filtering media? I have an old hang-on box filter that I can take the carbon out of and use the bio-media.
Not really. Add some more LR and aggressive skimming and you will have all of the filtration you need. 1.5-2lbs/gal of LR should do the trick. HOB filters or canister filters require VERY regular maintanance but also provide a nice means of machanical and chemical filtration.
Quote:
What counts in the amount of "flow" equation? In other words, I know I am looking for at least 500gph + of flow to start off with. Is this only measured by the flow provided by Powerheads and such, or can I use the old box filter, sans media, to bump up the flow rate?
Your skimmer will not really add much flow to the equation. I would go with at least three decent powerheads as well.

Good luck!

Tags
started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com