Getting started today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie.636

Aquarium Advice Activist
I started today tank today (24x13). I did a water test for a few days to make sure everything was running fine. So today I Mixed the salt and ro di water. Got my heater, powerhead and filter going. Right now it's only water in the tank.

You should be starting with all the rock and sand you want so you can start your cycle. No point in testing with nothing in the tank!
What are your future plans for it? Fish only? Full reef? Any questions just ask ;)

I had some time today and wanted to start it. I'm getting rock and sand tomorrow. My plans are LR, CUC, and couple fish. Then hopefully some soft coral over time.

Will the salt in the bottom of my tank dissolve? Or should I take it out? I had the heater and powerhead in with it but it didn't dissolve good. The temp was around 70 when I put it in the tank.

Not sure, it's kind of the wrong way around to be doing things! Undissolved salt is a bad thing tho, so when you next water change (after your cycling) you will need to mix it in a separate container with a heater and a powerhead the day before. Will you cycle with a raw shrimp or pure ammonia source? You should start testing after that to monitor your cycle...

Not sure, it's kind of the wrong way around to be doing things! Undissolved salt is a bad thing tho, so when you next water change (after your cycling) you will need to mix it in a separate container with a heater and a powerhead the day before. Will you cycle with a raw shrimp or pure ammonia source? You should start testing after that to monitor your cycle...

Yeah I know I really wanted to start haha.

What would you suggest? Raw shrimp or ammonia supplement?

And should I put in a clean up crew after I put in my rock and sand ?

The raw shrimp seems to be the way to go. Wait til after the cycle to add a CUC and stock it slowly so they don't starve. Are you buying live rock or dry/base?

I would also suggest wet sand, as adding set to a tank full of water will be messy! Don't forget, rock first then sand, you want your rock to sit on the bottom of the tank so it doesn't move later ;)

Thanks for your knowledge! I'm going to add the live rock either today or tomorrow. Is that a good idea where I just put the salt water in?

Added a marineland LED tonight. Has a day and a lunar setting. I like it. Still waiting on my LR and LS.

Attachments

• image-3441703061.jpg
    image-3441703061.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 61
  • image-678869701.jpg
    image-678869701.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom