Getting started with fishless method & live rock questio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

batman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was quite interested in the fishless method of starting the cycle process. I've heard of mixed success with some of the chemical in a bottle methods but this putting a couple of shrimp in seems good. Will the shrimp totally disappear or will there be remanants that will have to be removed? Do I remove them? Also I'm going to add live rock from a local aquarium store, should I add this before or along with adding fish? How long do I wait before adding fish (if that's the way to go?) Thanks...

Steven

I personally would never advise someone to go with a fish cycle. While this can be a good method, in the long run it's a pain. Damsels are usually used from them being cheap, and resistant to most common deseases in the fish world. In the long run, you will likely be spending hours at a time trying to net the little devils out of the rocks!!

To answer your questions (in order):

1. You should remove the shrimp after a period of around 3 days. This works best for me. I would try to get as much shrimp out of the tank as you can,

2. You should put the rocks in before you add any type of fish. I wouldn't advice the fish full cycle as stated above, but using the fish method seems to be the most affective way for cycling.

3. I would wait until the tank is fully cycled before you add any fish, this would be around 2 months of waiting for your levels to stable, and tank to mature a bit.

I would start out with more hardy, less agresive fish such as clown fish for being your first fish, then as the tank matures you can move into more agresive less hardy fish, such as tangs (if your tank is large enough, a 75 gallon minimum is recommended).

Happy reefing!

PH =)

So then I'm assuming I setup the tank put the shrimp in then after cycling is complete (approx 6 weeks) put the live rock in then a couple of weeks later start slowly introducint fish?

Thanks...

...Steven

If im not mistaken, the LR is what cycles the tank unless you have got some sort of a filter, but in my case it will be just LR and a DSB. Put some water in, get all the salt in it and everything...Put your LR and shrimp in, and wait....You dont want to add some expensive fish that will just die in two days becuase there is no bacteria. I have been told to wait 2 weeks-ONE YEAR!! I think one month or two would be perfect! This is by far not expert knowledge considering i have never cycled a tank before.

batman said:
So then I'm assuming I setup the tank put the shrimp in then after cycling is complete (approx 6 weeks) put the live rock in then a couple of weeks later start slowly introducint fish?

Thanks...

...Steven

Depending on your source for live rock that will be an ok procedure. I would not be definitive about the time frame. Some tanks take longer some tanks take less time.

Check your ammonia and nitrite levels and when they are at 0.00 then your tank is ready for life.

Where are you going to get your LR? If your going to get it online then you can add this and forgo the shrimp. The live rock will have what is called dieoff and that will cycle the tank. If your getting your LR locally then we can assume it has been cured (make sure its been in a display tank for a few weeks before buying it). IF its cured then I would not add it till your ammonia levels are gone as the high ammonia levels would kill whats beneficial on the rock.

Back
Top Bottom