Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2006, 04:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Actually its glass and the bottom is tempered, but im going to be drilling the lower back just because of that.

Im going with 1" bulkhead because at 4' my return pump does around 400-500gph.

Old 05-23-2006, 04:23 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Since your drilling the side it should be ok but right away your dealing with 90 degree bends which will restrict your flow considerably. I’d keep that in mind since each bend will cut about 60-100 gph from your flow.

Are you going to use a Durso Standpipe?

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:33 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good point, I will take that into consideration when deciding the final size of the exit. I was also planning on using a standpipe. Im still waiting on my overflow to get here.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:08 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have both tanks drilled in the upper corners and I get great flow to the sump. I have 1" bulk heads which need a 1 3/4" holes drilled in the tank. For the return to the tank I use a hang on back return elbow which is very easy to hook up to a pump and there is no extra drilling of the tank. Not sure why you would want to drill low in the back of the tank, do you plan on having a PVC pipe going up to the surface??
the way I have it set up I just use some PVC elbows and a plastic type screen on the elbows so no critters get into it. Very easy setup and easy to adjust for surface skimming and flow control. No big boxes or other plastic parts in the tank.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:22 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
seaham, is that the setup in this photo?

I always wondered how the noise level was with that setup if it is.

TIA

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:12 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hmm....I really like that design....

Where did you get your bits? I have only really seen theglass hole bits online.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:52 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

thats the 55, my 125 is the same. very little noise in both tanks, No gurgle at all just water noise. My return pump is what I hear more then the overflows.
You can adjust them so its easy to adjust to get rid of any gurgle. You need a good return pump to keep up with the flow also, if the water level drops this is when a gurgle can occur.
My 125 had some noise but it was a easy fix, I took a 12-15" piece of airline and stuffed it into the overflow through the screen and down the over flow so that only a 4" piece was sticking out. What this did was allow air to pass through the hole better and the gurgle was gone. This happened after i had to switch out my return pump and the new one had a lower flow rate.

I like the look of the tank with this set up.. No big items in the tank, no OF box to lose siphon.

Diamond bit hole saws can be bought on line in many places..
Before drilling check and make sure the tank is not tempered. I have a 55 that I got from walmart and myself and the LFS figured it was only tempered on the bottom... We'll we found out it was tempered glass on the whole tank... BOOM...
check with a Glass dealer in your area and see how much they will charge to drill a hole. Maybe worth it to have them do it with a drill press. Check around also, I had places tell me 50 a hole and I had others say 15.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drilled, flow, led, overflow, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com