Getting tank tommrow need to know what to purchase? ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KKAY27

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm purchasing my tank tommrow for my 1st sw tank! It is. 60g marineland frameless cube with the stand for $388! I think I got a good deal! I need to know what I need to get to set it up to be cycling with live rock?
1. What type of filter should I use?
2. What type of protein skimmer should I buy? Do they Come in different sizes if so what size do i need for a 60g cube?
3. How much live rock should I buy?
4. I need live sand right? What brand?
5.do I need led lights to start off?
6. How much marine salt do i need to make enough water for my 60g
7. I'm a beginner to sw tanks is there anything I need to start off with?
Question
1 does the tank have to be cycled before adding live rock?
Please help I want to speed the process up and at least get my tank cycled?
This is what tank I am going to buy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1414974647889.jpg
    1414974647889.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 112
If you aren't going to have a sumo you could use your live rock as your filtration with a hang on protein skimmer. I have the Aqua one skimmer that works just fine for me. Bubble Magnus do excellent skimmers but aren't cheap. Skimmers come in different sizes that are rated for each tank. Some people use canister filters but you will hear people call the nitrate factories but this Is just poor maintenance in my opinion. People have different opinions on live rock, but 1.5-2 pounds of rock per gallon is a good rule of thumb. An LED would look nice on that tank. It's a preference but I think they look tidier and use less energy. I have the Chinese LEDs from eBay. They are superb and very affordable. As for the salt, each brand has their own specifications on how much salt you use when mixing. Just pick a brand and follow the instructions. I would say do some solid research on the things you want to buy and check reviews. You do get what you pay for but this doesn't have to be as expensive as people make it out to be. Watch the "how to set up a saltwater tank" series by BRS TV on YouTube, very informative

Chinese LEDs? Got a link or what they are actually called? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Taotronic leds. Or just type in Dimmable led on eBay and they'll pop right up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you go to eBay or amazon and search 120w dimmable reef led and you'll find them. They are commonly referred to as Tao panels on here, and taotronics I believe is the company name.

Many people would recommend dead rock/sand, also called dry rock. I purchased all mine from Marco Rocks, they are from Florida I think. Very nice rock at what I think is reasonable prices. I ordered like 80 lbs for my 55 and the sent me like 85-90 lbs. As for lights I really like Reef Breeders they are what I bought and they are amazing and they are available on basically any budget. Everyone is going to have differing opinions on salt. For cycling look under the "Articles" tab at the top of your screen, but I placed my rocks and sand how I wanted them added my pre-mixed salt water, and tossed in a few cocktail shrimp from WalMart and walked away (well actually daily testing but still).

the best advice I have is to do your research first don't just jump into SW blind ,
it's not a cheap hobby to fail at , knowing what you need to expect and need will lead to a easier start up , just going into a pet store asking what you need to get going is one of the biggest mistakes you can do as they only see dollar signs and it will whined up costing you almost double ,
ask lots of questions here research what equipment will work for you and you can afford
take your time learn what you need to , than start your build

Back
Top Bottom