Getting the first fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dodgersfan25

Aquarium Advice Regular
my tank just finished cycling about 5 days ago (nitrites, ammonia at 0) and i performed my first water change. well now i'm ready to add the fish. i need more info about quarantine tanks and the acclimation process. can anyone give some advice?.

My advice is to get a cleanup crew so you have something to look at for the next month while you have a fish in QT.

do u have to put a cleanup crew in the QT? or are they more hardy to changes in their surroundings?

No you do not have to qt inverts. Just make sure that the water in the bags, do not pour into your tank.

Also PLEASE make sure you QT. I, and many, many others have paid the price for not using a qt. I want make that mistake again.

Congrats on your new tank!! What were you thinking about adding first as far as fish? :wink: :wink:

thanks a lot guys! as far as fish, i'm still deciding. any suggestions? i plan to make it a reef tank.

i dont want to kill anything so i want to make sure im doing this right. for acclimitating the snails and shrimp, I:
1) float the bag in the main tank for 30 min
2) empty everything in the bag into a 5 gallon bucket
3) slowly drip water from the tank through siphoning for 4 hours
4) net the inverts and place them into the main tank

is this correct?

Yes you should still QT because if the fish shows signs of infection then you will need to be able to treat it accordingly. You can't treat in the main tank.

you should QT your first fish too because you need to observe the fish for signs of disease and parasites. Most people wouldn't recommend treating the main tank with anything, so this way if your first fish comes down with something it's in the QT and you can deal with it with out worrying about adverse effects on your main tank

Back
Top Bottom