Getting the Sump Setup.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JesseMessykinn

Aquarium Advice Freak
So With the tax season upon us, its the time to sink some money into my 55Gal Upcoming reef. Im going to sink maybe 300-400 bucks into this set up and go from there.

Where im at now is ive got nothing excpet the sock holder and going to get a 10 Gal tank from walmart tomarrow. For now im going to set up a basic tank sump with no baffles. Im looking to Add a CPR Overflow box, my concern is can I Get away with 300 GPH Overflow on a 55. I dont plan on using this overflow box for anything else. Its going to stick with this tank for the life of it.

So my plan is 300GPH Overflow box, into a 10Gal Sump filtered though a 200 Micron filter sock. Gonna work some chato into the sump with maybe alittle rubble rock, not sure yet. Seaclone 100 Protein Skimmer, Maybe go with 150. then to a return pump back to the tank with a ball valve just incase. Im not 100% Sure What return pump im going to use yet but Tips are welcome.

My Biggest concern with the over flow box, Is 300 GPH Good enough. The tank has 2 PH in each corner of the tank pushing 800 GPH Each. So intank flow isnt a problem at all, But when it comes to the sump GPH Im lost. Any help would be nice.

Hey! It is recommanded to use the same flow as the skimmer through the sump so if you use the seaclone 100 (295gph for maxijet 1200) you are ok! But, two things :
1st : I bought a Bubble Magus NAC skimmer because of the great reviews. I will install it next week and could give feedback about it but the seaclone doesn't have very good reviews. What about this one? :

Bubble Magus

I know it's more expensive than the seaclone, but I changed for the bubble magus beacause, the coralife super skimmer I use, which produces quite a lot of waste, because I had to fix it 2 times in a year with epoxy, because it's not sturdy. Someone told me than most often in the hobby, you get what you pay for.

2nd People have good results using only 3 to 5 time their tank volume in the sump. It's better for the fuge, and the skimmer has more time to skim and sucks more waste. So it's ok if you dont use the full 300 gph of the overflow.

Last, you need a return pump that matches the overflow depending of the height of your setting. This pump would be ok :

Sedra KSP-5000 Water pump

According to the flow chart, you have about 260 gph at 5 feet.

Back
Top Bottom