Getting ticked off...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonsong

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys I have numerous questions for you,

Alright well my fish are going missing...so far the count is 2 percula clowns and a mandarin fish. I think something is eating them. Because I know they are both good jumpers but I looked around the tank and all around my room but nothing to be found. I have a very strong filter but the grates are to small to have anything sucked into it. I dont have many corals and the ones I do don't eat fish! so far that leaves one thing...a hitchhiker in my live rock (well thats what im guessing). So if anyone has any ideas as to what is going on I would love to know!

I cannot get corraline algea to grow! I have tried all the tricks and it just will not grow. All my water perameters are correct (including alk. and calcium), I give them both periods of atinic lighting and metalhalide combined with the atinics. I contstantly scrape it off my rock with no filter or skimmer running for and hour with only powerheads running...I have scraped some off at the LFS main display reef and syphoned it up into a bag and "seeded" it into the tank...and so far not a sign of it! If anyone has any better ideas please give them to me!

I bought a couple mushroom corals (purple mushrooms and watermeleon mushrooms) and they come attached to a peice of live rock. Well the rocks do not fit well in my aquarium and I was wondering if they was any way to take them off and place them somewhere else. This is probibly a no awnser but just thought I would ask.

Okay I am guessing that the toadstool coral (Sarcophyton sp.) is a colder water coral. It will not get full open...it semi opens then closes the longer the day goes. It has yet to be fully open even once and I have had it in my tank for 2 weeks now. If anyone living in the calgary area would like to trade it for something I would be thrilled. And secondly how long does it take corals to expand off a base and root onto live rock. Its kind of a dumb question but Im just kind of wondering and I thought you would know.

But thats about it. If anyone has any suggestions to the following please reply back asap...thanks a million in advance!

As far as the mushrooms, they can be removed very carefully from the rock. Slowly pry up at the attachment and work your way until it is seperated.

The toadstool is not a cooler water coral. My tanks stay at 83-84 and all mine open up fully, everyday. If yours is not, then check the water quality. Not to sound mean, but saying water parameters are "correct" does not tell us anything. Please post exact numbers.

1)Hard to tell why fish are missing. Could be a hitchiker but do you have a cat that might have been fishing. So many senarios. 2) As MRS Hara said we need some numbers here on alk and calcium. I did not have much till I started using Kent Coral builder now I have it all over rock and Glass. Be careful what you wish for :? 3) Mrs Hara answered that one. 4)Toadstool is not a colder water coral. We need water parameter numbers to see what is going on and what corals are beside it. Most corals from a LFS are glued to the rock and will not come off. Have a good day.

What kind of clean up crew do you have? Are the fish completely missing, I mean, do you not see any remains? What other fish/cleaning crew do you have? How fast did the fish go missing, ie 1 day, half day 3 weeks?

+++EDIT+++
I post my critters in "my info" button, so folks and see what I have, ie:
filter (type)
LR/LS
fish
inverts
and so on....

1) To start with...no there are no remains...its unbeleivable. Basically I go to bed and everybody is out swimming doing fine then the next day no clowns and then the day after no mandarin...its odd they are disapering very quickly with no left overs. I have no cats, no fuzzy animal of some sort to get at my tank. Good guess though but not quite there, I actually found some sort of worm thing about 3" long and scooped it out (it couldnt have been him way, way, way to thin) but the prowl still continues!

2) here are my tank perameters:
Temp: 78*
S.G. 1.0240
PH: 8.4
Alk: 3.0 meq/l
Cal: 400 mg/l
Amm: 0
Nitri: 0
Nitra: 0
Phos: 0
Well those are my tank perameters...and also I do a 30% water change once a week...using RO/DI water.

3) I would like to move the mushrooms but I am afraid. I dont want to mortally wound them and that be the end of those poor poor creatures...so I might try it soon enough!

4) Hahahahah I found why my toodstool wont open up...my scooter blenny (scooter dragonette more like it!) is climbing all over it! My water quality is very good, all my corals are doing wonderfully growing at very rapid rates :) but it doesnt matter I am probibly gonna trade it away for something nicer anyways.

Thanks for getting back to me guys...and your not rude. Its just losing some of my prized fish just its ticking me off real bad! I have had my mandarin for a year and a half doing just wonderfully and now he is just gone...see what I mean. So if you have any other awnsers for me that would be super duper :) thanks a million guys I truly appreciate it! :D

P.S. This is why I come to this site I get very accurate awnsers in a very professional matter!

Have you added any new rock lately? Did you add any new corals on a decent sized piece of rock? You may have gotten one of those Mantis Shrimps in there. I had a brown ugly one in my tank once and the only reason I found him was I was doing my usual hypnotic stare of the tank and I saw these two large bug eyes staring back at me. I took the rock out and boiled it! Then dug him out of the rock. Pretty neat looking but scary. I don't want to imagine what he could have done to my fish had I not caught him in time.

Well I hope I can just find it soon! I am afraid to add new fish in fear of them also getting attacked by the fiend laying waste to the fish in my tank.

Look in all the little nooks and crannies of the rocks. If it is a brown one it will be hard to spot. The colorful ones are beautiful just as deadly. I wouldn't go sticking my hands in there until you are sure of what's going on. So have you added new rock lately?

Nope I havent added live rock in quite some time...but i also havent had these small fish in this tank for very long either. So he might just be in there and when i added the smaller fish he may have found something to engorge...just a thought!

Back
Top Bottom