GFI Cheep at Lowes,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

HI,
well i finally received my skimmer from marine depot, its a super live coral, I was installing it on my sump and managed to fill the cup with sea water in about 2 secs and splashed a little water here and there, managed to dampen a couple power strips the kind with trips, well it kept right on working and I decided it was time to turn off the power before i pump 20 gallons of sea water on the carpet.
As I touched the off switch i felt a tingle that hurt like heck :oops: , I had grounded the switch to my finger... 8O
So I went to Lowes to see if they had any GFI devices they had three types that plug in the wall one had three outlets and as soon as I plugged the damp power switch it clicked off and the light on the GFI went out.
I will never run a saltwater tank without some type of smart gfi trips .
Its a good thing.. here a pic...
30334008B_rgb.jpg

PS that electriticy isn't reccomended for people unless their heart has stopped already..
hehe Doug

As I touched the off switch i felt a tingle that hurt like heck
That is nothing to mess with , glad it did not hit you while you were Q-T phase of the cardiac cycle

It is a good thing but remember that if water gets on the actual outlet, that GFCI will not kill the power because it is only from that point on. It is great for strips though. I have the larger version.

:multi: :multi: Welcome to AA :multi: :multi:

Glad you're alright, GFCI should always be used and your power strips kept off the floor. Any wires coming from the tank should have a drip loop to keep water from the strips as well.

I live in VA and the best lfs in Va Beach is Animal jungle. They have a HUGE store with an excellent staff and decent prices. Their website is down currently but is worth checking out for their weekly specials.

another thing worth mentioning that I did not in the first place and should have . When ever water breeches your power strips replace them as the salt water is corrosive . And can cuase more damage that you think ...Please for your safety and peace of mind replace the strips

Back
Top Bottom