Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

GFO reactor and hair algae

I have a GFO reactor on my 29 gallon tank. I was late changing the media and have a hair algae problem in some areas of my tank. How long does it take for the GFO to reduce the hair algae? I just changed the media 2 days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

GFO reduces phosphates that hair algae feeds on. Remove the algae and you should be ok...that is if you had no algae prior to being late on changing out your media.
The less nutrients you put into your system, the less you have to remove. Minimal feedings mixed with water changes/top off with ro/di water will greatly assist with this as well.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
GFO reduces phosphates that hair algae feeds on. Remove the algae and you should be ok...that is if you had no algae prior to being late on changing out your media.
The less nutrients you put into your system, the less you have to remove. Minimal feedings mixed with water changes/top off with ro/di water will greatly assist with this as well.

Thanks sniperhank. I was dealing with purple slim algae before but no hair algae. I have a top off system in place and I do monthly water changes about 30 % on a 29 gallon reef tank. The tank has been up and running for 7 months. I feed them about 3 or four times a week. Mostly marine pellets but one feeding I use mysis and formula one mixed with selcon. Occasionally I will feed flake food and dried krill.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:30 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The slime algae is cyanobacteria. It and the hair algae are feeding off the fact that you are feeding too much.
I would switch to weekly water changes at 10% to start bringing the nitrate/phosphate levels down. Cut back on how much you are feeding. Not feeding flakes and pellets will also help, as they are almost all phosphates. Rinsing your frozen food can also help, as the water they are processed in is packed with phosphates as well.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
The slime algae is cyanobacteria. It and the hair algae are feeding off the fact that you are feeding too much.
I would switch to weekly water changes at 10% to start bringing the nitrate/phosphate levels down. Cut back on how much you are feeding. Not feeding flakes and pellets will also help, as they are almost all phosphates. Rinsing your frozen food can also help, as the water they are processed in is packed with phosphates as well.

How often should I feed them?
I do rinse the frozen food and then add the selcon. My tanks are in my office at work so they don't get fed on the weekends. Thanks for your help.

Tags
air, algae, hair, hair algae, reactor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com