GH and PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hammer fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi what should these reading be and how can you lower them thanks all

Ph is 7.8 on the Red Sea test for kh I added 3 drops witch changed it to overdose so maybe 2.5 drops at 0.36 meq/L what does this mean thanks

Most titration test kits (colour change versus colourization) that use a eye dropper style dispenser (this does NOT incluse the Red Sea Pro), give a rate of 0.5 meq/l or else 1 dKH. If yours is 0.36 meq/l that is 1 dKH. So your test would be giving a result of 2.5 to 3 dKH which is VERY low. Freshwater low! Even a non-reef salt would give a much higher alkalanity. Something IS wrong.

Conversion BTW is 2.8 dKH to 1 Meq/l. So multiply your result by 2.8.

Correct me if I'm wrong but GH (general hardness) is used in FW tanks only. SW aquariums use KH (carbonate hardness).

Correct me if I'm wrong but GH (general hardness) is used in FW tanks only. SW aquariums use KH (carbonate hardness).

Your right, you don't test for GH in SW, just your KH which is your alkalinity.
But you do test for both in a FW.

Sounds like something is amiss - very low kh and ph. Tell us more about your set up?

This is normally a higher number and most salts have a kh reading a lot higher already ?
When I test mine it's 12-14 drops using the API test drops .
In the instruction it says normal salt water should be tested close to 13 drops.
I can't remember what it said exactly

Back
Top Bottom