Ghost Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phamboo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is there anyone out there that has any information on Ghost Shrimp. I bought them from LFS about 5 years ago and my fishes went crazy for them. Are they freshwater or SW? Could i possibly have a tank with a couple of dozen and will they reproduce by themselve?...Is there a website with more info?...Please help.

Hi Phamboo,

Ghost Shrimp (aka Glass Shrimp or Grass Shrimp) are freshwater.
Ghost shrimp will readily breed in the aquarium if kept in large enough groups. The female carries the eggs, which appear as small black dots under the tail. If interested in raising the shrimp, remove the female to a different aquarium until the shrimp hatch. At that point, return the female back to the main aquarium and feed the baby shrimp newly hatched brine shrimp, rotifers, or a suitable liquid food.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=1468

There is plenty of information available on the web. Do a GOOGLE search on glass shrimp or grass shrimp or ghost shrimp.

HTH

my fishes went crazy for them.

FW animals are very unhealthy for SW animals, they do not contain the right ratios of lipids and fatty acids. Overtime, constant feeding of FW animals to SW animals will shorten your fishes life span.

I have 4 Ghost Shrimp for my freshwater tank. I bought them in a freshwater tank too(with guppies and other fish) actually that store dosn't sell saltwater fish.. I asked the same question about breeding them, you can't.

Back
Top Bottom