Giant hermit crab care?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brennan32

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my friend brought me home a giant hermit crab from his recent trip to Florida. He caught it on the beach and after some research i found it to be a giant hermit. So basically what i need to know is...

what should i feed it?

Is it safe to put in my main tank which is a fowlr tank with snails crabs shrimp tangs nothing big or agressive

How big of a tank does this thing need because im setting up a 10 gallon tank right now for him

I read this is a marine hermit meaning it doesn't need to breath air so it can stay under all the time like my little hermits correct?

Thanks for the help and taking it back is not an option as we live 1,500 miles from Florida

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Giant hermit crabs are no where near reef safe. They are carnivorous and opportunistic. If they can catch it they will eat it.
If keeping you will need to begin buying large shells, they grow very quickly. The adults use the shells of queen conchs. Some of these may cost you upwards of $50. Also I'm not sure what size tank they will need but it will have to be large conch shells alone can get upto over a foot so will need a foot print for the crab plus shell to turn around.

you may want to mention to your friend that removing livestock from the ocean with proper permits is illegal, it's called poaching and jeopardizes not only the livestock but the hobbies ability to get livestock in the future.

you may want to mention to your friend that removing livestock from the ocean with proper permits is illegal, it's called poaching and jeopardizes not only the livestock but the hobbies ability to get livestock in the future.

His dad is a cop so i don't think it would really matter what i said anyway

Giant hermit crabs are no where near reef safe. They are carnivorous and opportunistic. If they can catch it they will eat it.
If keeping you will need to begin buying large shells, they grow very quickly. The adults use the shells of queen conchs. Some of these may cost you upwards of $50. Also I'm not sure what size tank they will need but it will have to be large conch shells alone can get upto over a foot so will need a foot print for the crab plus shell to turn around.

Thanks for the info sadly it passed away last night:( must have been from the two day drive back from Florida and the temperature changes

Back
Top Bottom