Give me your opinion on stocking :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatyKat

Aquarium Advice Activist
just bought the brand new fluval accent 25gallon aquarium. i have two sucessfull nano reefs (5gal) and im planning on turning this new tank into a reef also, there will be corals of course and live rock. any idea for stocking!?

just bought the brand new fluval accent 25gallon aquarium. i have two sucessfull nano reefs (5gal) and im planning on turning this new tank into a reef also, there will be corals of course and live rock. any idea for stocking!?

Seeing as it's only a 25 your selection is limited .
You will have a few weeks to think as your tank cycles ?
Besides just knowing you wanted a reef what were you hoping yo stock ?

Yes ive got the tank cycling, so im thinking ahead of exactly what i want for when its done. I know i want a reef tank, and thats about it. Ive got two sucessfull nano reefs so that my biggest want. Other than that (since i already have a few clowns and what not ) i was thinking possibly a dwarf lionfish. Both of my lfs told me a specific kind of dwarf is perfect for a 25-40gallon(obviously with nothing else in there)as far as the lighting for the reef, i havent any idea how powerful mine are i cant find anything specific on them online. If they are too weak i will obviously replace them. Have you seen anything on them?

I've seen those lights in person and they are stock. I don't think they could keep coral alive or colorful. I'd replace them. Also, I wouldn't put a lion in there. Even the dwarfs get pretty big and have a good bioload as well. There was another thread just recently about wanting a lion in a 20-25 gallon tank.

Ill have to look it up. Honestly the lights are huge put i hva nooo idea how strong they are :-/ so how can i know?? Also i was concernd about putting a dwarf in as well but both my lfs assured me it would be fine. So i have no idea what to do. The one lfs owner is a good friend so i know he wouldnt stear me wrong...but still. Any idea where i can find some real info on the lights?

I'm assuming this is stock lighting we are talking about? What type of coral do you want to keep in this setup? Stock lighting usually isn't strong enough to support more than polyps and maybe some other soft corals. Anything else will require more intense lighting.

In terms of the dwarf lion, they still get to be about 7"...
Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
In a tank this size, one would barely have enough room to turn around. I'd even disagree with LA in this case and look for a larger tank if I were to keep one...and LA is a strong go to in terms of accurate tank size for livestock. I wouldn't say that your LFS pal is trying to steer your wrong on purpose...it is just that not everyone is an expert in everything! There is so much to be knowledgable about when running a pet store you will have to be wrong on something just off of odds alone. If you need saltwater advice...that's why we are here! If you need to know how to replace the coolant tubes from an air conditioner...yeah can't help you there...

Hahah agreed! Im with you guys 100percent on the lionfish. I dont think its a good idea. Yes the lights are stock, but they look very siilar to the lights you can huy seperatly made by fluval, that are powerful enough for corals. Ill include t

Hahah agreed! Im with you guys 100percent on the lionfish. I dont think its a good idea. Yes the lights are stock, but they look very siilar to the lights you can huy seperatly made by fluval, that are powerful enough for corals. Ill include two photos, one of a seperate led strip i bought by fluval, the second a photo of the stock lighting of the accent. As far as what id like to keep in the tank, im mostly a soft coral person, frogspawn,torch coral, kenya tree, mushrooms,zoas, gsp...things of that nature. So now that we are over the lionfish, what are my best stocking options for a reef tank of 25 gallons. I like colorful, lively fish that are fun to watch if that helps.:)

ForumRunner_20131203_084010.jpg

ForumRunner_20131203_084048.jpg

ForumRunner_20131203_084256.jpg

I was thinking of a dwarf for a 29g Biocube, but now that I have one set up as a reef, I see it would've been miserable. A Fu Manchu lion gets about 4 inches, but I've heard they're really tricky. If you want a lion you could get a 40b at Petco if/when they have a dollar a gallon sale.

thanks for the idea, but im cool without one lol. i love this tank and honestly do not yet have room for another addition, so i want to find something that will work in this one.

Use the serial number on the lights to figure out what it is. In terms of the coral, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to keep the soft coral. The LPS, the frogspawn or torch, you MAY be able to keep them depending on what you learn about that light fixture...I'd assume if able you'd need to keep them at the top of the tank.

I was thinking of a dwarf for a 29g Biocube, but now that I have one set up as a reef, I see it would've been miserable. A Fu Manchu lion gets about 4 inches, but I've heard they're really tricky. If you want a lion you could get a 40b at Petco if/when they have a dollar a gallon sale.

Even the smallest lions shouldn't be in less than a 55 tank.

Alright! Well since the lion is obviously out *looks at everyone still talking about lionfish*

How about this:

2 Ocellaris clowns
1 Firefish Goby Or Orange Stripe Prawn Goby
1 Royal Gramma

The two clowns and firefish is considered a fully stocked tank for a 20g so I don't believe that adding the royal gramma would be overkill. It would definitely help to have a skimmer though.

I have found liveaquaria.com to be an excellent resource for fish and their recommend tank size.Here is a link to their suggestions for nano tank fish:
Nano Fish
I am partial to the firefish:D

No way to the angler fish lol, i would be terrified to clean the tank. The suggestion of the clowns and gramma sound god. I realized there was a tag on the lights ill attatch a photo. Any one know of a small eel that may work? I really want something unique.

ForumRunner_20131203_111027.jpg

No way to the angler fish lol, i would be terrified to clean the tank. The suggestion of the clowns and gramma sound god. I realized there was a tag on the lights ill attatch a photo. Any one know of a small eel that may work? I really want something unique.

True eels? No but look at a canary blenny. They are eel like in appearance and will fit in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom