Given a used tank. Need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Someone gave me a used 90 gallon SW setup. It has a hood with 2x175W (MH?) , 10,000k bulbs. It also has cooling fans built into the hood.
It has the overflow section in the corner of the tank with 2 tubes coming out of the bottom of the tank and a sump. My first question is about the lighting. Will that be sufficient? I want to do a reef tank (live rock). I probably won't try corals for a while. Will I need more lighting to add corals later on? About the filtration, in that overflow section in the corner are some plastic balls like in the wet/dry filters. I've read many people here say not to use wet/dry so I guess I should just removed those balls? It didn't come with a skimmer but I plan to get one.

I just got the setup and haven't started messing with everything yet. I'm going to set everything up in the garage first to make sure there are no leaks and because I figure I'll make a mess as I learn how to setup the sump and all. I've had a number of FW tanks before but this is my first SW.

Wow, congratulations.. I wish someone would just give me a 90 gal setup!

The lighting sounds fine to me.. you should be good to go full reef when the time comes. The only addition you might consider is a couple actinic tubes to suppliment the halides. They can be used for a dawn/dusk effect and will also bring out the spectacular fluorescence of certain species.

Take your time and have fun playing around with it!

Another question about starting it up. Here's what I'm thinking:
LR from liverocks.com: 20 lbs Keys, 20 lbs Gulf, 80 lbs base.
I'm about 2 hours from where LiveRocks.com is located so I plan to pick it up and save on shipping. Total for all that is about $340.

DSB: 120 lbs (2" bed according to calculator) of the HomeDepot sand (southdown or old castle)

From all I've read, I'm under the impression that once I get everything running with the water/pumps, that I can just put in the rocks how I want and then pour the sand in? Then let it cycle without light? (Add a shrimp or two to get the cycling going?)
Almost sounds too easy. :D

Thought I'd post this tidbit I found in my incessant reading of the forums. You can get base rock really cheap from hirocks.com. 60 lbs for $80 (shipped). So I think I'll get my base from there, lowering the price by about $70.
Also, given how cheap the HomeDepot sand is, I may do a deeper bed (maybe 3").

I'm jealous beyong belief of yall who can get south down sand, the hardware stores in my areas don't even know what I'm talking about :(

Joshua...

I have some classifieds in my area selling fish tanks that have LR in them. Should I consider buying their LR if I can get it real cheap?

find out if the tanks in the adds have ever had copper dosed in them. If they have then you couldnt go full reef.

Back
Top Bottom