Glass Hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AutumnPine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, I finally got my lighting about a month ago and was told that I needed to get a glass hood so I did. The light that I bought is a 30 inch dual current satellite (which I'm extremely pleased with) with the mounting legs so my light sets about 3 inches off of my tank. My question is: Is it really necessary to have the glass between the tank and the light? It would seem to me the glass would interfere with the full spectrum of the light. TIA!

No. Usually hoods cause PH issues b/c they interfere w/ the gas exchange. CO2 tends to accumualte in tanks and the hood prevents it from escaping causing PH to drop, etc. It will filter some of the light as well as you mentioned. HTH
BTW is your lighting MH?

I agree, the glass can also trap heat. I would get rid of it.
Mike, would the cover on the lighting unit be enough to filter out the UV rays?

IMO glass hoods are not that great for your tank. They as Mike mentioned, cause low PH from poor gas exchange at the surface. They also trap heat in your tank from the lighting. Kind of like sunlight going through your car window and turning into heat. These are two reasons that I dont recommend glass hoods. If you are afraid of jumpers then try egg crate on top.

Mine gave me problems with pH, so I removed it and the problems was solved.

Great info! You guys just saved me $35. I thought about getting a glass hood (for jumpers). I didn't know that affected pH. I'll try the egg crate. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Anytime, I bought my eggcrate at Lowes, they probably have it at Home Depot too.

Roka64 said:
Mike, would the cover on the lighting unit be enough to filter out the UV rays?
Sorry for taking so long Scott, this is the first I've checked back on this thread. The glass covers that come w/ double ended set-ups and the outer envelope of single ended lamps is usually enough. I just wanted to be sure the glass hood being removed was not part of the lighting system in this case. HTH

Back
Top Bottom