Glass or acrylic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seandpilot

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am getting a 90gal tank. Just want advice on glass or acrylic for the tank.

I have both I like the acrylic
But they both have + & -

Some Pros & cons of each:

Acrylic: Lighter, stronger, easily drilled, clearer, scratches very easily and harder to remove algae

Glass: Heavier, harder to drill, not as clear (unless using Starphire glass), stands up to scratches and scraping of algae without any major issues.

Personally I'd go with glass, starphire if you can afford it (clearer than regular glass). Get the tank drilled by your LFS and get a buddy to help you move it. I'm pretty tough on the algae cleaning.

I agree with the Pros and Cons listed above. I used to always have glass, but like acrylic now due to the clarity. I also like the corners/edges better for looks. Have a 70 gal now with built in filtration and had a 70 reef and 180 FOWLER years ago. The reef got scratched up, but the other did fine. Acrylic will set you back more in cost than plain glass, but this is not an inexpensive hobby.

Is the starfire glass as clear as acrylic? Never dealt with that.

Had glass forever, tried acrylic love the clarity, scratch easy but worth it. Lighter, stronger cooler. Acrylic cost more but wont shatter or leak like glass.

Back
Top Bottom