Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-16-2004, 06:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Glass or Acrylic

First post of what I am sure will be many. I am looking a starting a 55 gal FOWLR tank. Should I buy a glass tank or acrylic?

Juster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 06:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
If you have the cash go for acrylic. Easier to drill, clarity is better than glass. It does scratch easily so you need to be careful when working inside.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 08:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Personally, I think the question boils down to price, and whether you mind silicone sealed seams that are used on glass which some people find unsightly.
I made a poll you can find it Here.
seafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 10:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Acrylic may be easy to drill but glass comes drilled allready. Somthing as small as a 55 i would go glass IMO acrylic is good for redusing weight in very large tanks. But if you got that kind of cash go glass and get a bigger setup For ruffly the same money you could get a 125 glass
KMyers18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 10:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Glass, Acrylic is harder to keep cool from what I have read, scratches easier and costs more. they do make some cool acrylic tanks......
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 02:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
I've always liked glass for its durability. If I can accidently scratch glass aquariums, acryllic can be a problem .

Something to consider with glass is the viewing angle. If your eye level is not level with the tank when you want to view it, the higher refraction index can be annoying. You still get refraction in acryllic, but its always been somewhat less annoying to me. Of course you still get the tank->water refraction as well.

I've seen some interesting aquariums built out of starphire glass. Its a lot clearer than conventional glass. It'll probably cost a mint to make it yourself, but if you buy the sheets and glue it (and trust yourself enough), you can save some money.
55g reef, 2x250W 10k MH + 2x96W PC actninc, 10g sump, AquaC Urchin skimmer, 65lbs LR

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 11:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to jaiden
acrylic is a better insulator, it's not inherently cooler or warmer... It depends on what temp you want your tank to be, and what the ambient temp is.

54g all-glass bowfront corner planted FW

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote

acrylic, glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com