Glass or Acrylic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have the cash go for acrylic. Easier to drill, clarity is better than glass. It does scratch easily so you need to be careful when working inside.

Personally, I think the question boils down to price, and whether you mind silicone sealed seams that are used on glass which some people find unsightly.
I made a poll you can find it Here.

Acrylic may be easy to drill but glass comes drilled allready. Somthing as small as a 55 i would go glass IMO acrylic is good for redusing weight in very large tanks. But if you got that kind of cash go glass and get a bigger setup :lol: For ruffly the same money you could get a 125 glass :wink:

Glass, Acrylic is harder to keep cool from what I have read, scratches easier and costs more. they do make some cool acrylic tanks......

I've always liked glass for its durability. If I can accidently scratch glass aquariums, acryllic can be a problem :).

Something to consider with glass is the viewing angle. If your eye level is not level with the tank when you want to view it, the higher refraction index can be annoying. You still get refraction in acryllic, but its always been somewhat less annoying to me. Of course you still get the tank->water refraction as well.

I've seen some interesting aquariums built out of starphire glass. Its a lot clearer than conventional glass. It'll probably cost a mint to make it yourself, but if you buy the sheets and glue it (and trust yourself enough), you can save some money.

acrylic is a better insulator, it's not inherently cooler or warmer... It depends on what temp you want your tank to be, and what the ambient temp is.

Back
Top Bottom