Glass tank tops on or off? Heat concern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The tool is called a Hot Knife. Here is a cheap version that might suit your needs and may be available at a local hobby store and here is a professional model not available at the local hobby store. If you do decide to use the hot knife to cut the eggcrate be extremely careful and do it in plenty of ventilation like open the garage door and get a cross breeze going. Melting plastic gives off highly toxic fumes which is why it stinks to "high heaven".
It will also kill any canaries in the room too. :tgv:

Thank you his head is large(r) now;).

Hotwire Foam Factory
It is used for small foam stuff like chair cushions.
Fisheggs had it pretty close, the web site above is exactly what he used it was a cheap tool. I can't figure out how to link like that yet. Another day perhaps.:crack:

I just googled hot knife and picked the first site that came up for the pro model. the hobbico model i knew about from when i ran a hobby store. Land Locked's site looks pretty good and i bookmarked it for future projects. Thanks LL.

No never killed a canary with toxic fumes i just know that can happen to them.

One other suggestion that I followed after the advice I received here was that I hung my lights 10 inches above the surface of the water. I had them on the little legs they came with but the temp was all over the place. You can see in the pic, it looks nicer hung too! Someone posted the link for the hanging kit for me but I actually ended up ordering them from foster and smith for about $19.00. I am telling you I do not know what I would have done if it weren't for AA. I know I would have thrown my hands up and quit. I am so addicted to this now it is sick:lach:

Like most others have suggested it is best not to have the glass lids on. Especially on a salt water tank.

Back
Top Bottom