Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2008, 03:01 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tool is called a Hot Knife. Here is a cheap version that might suit your needs and may be available at a local hobby store and here is a professional model not available at the local hobby store. If you do decide to use the hot knife to cut the eggcrate be extremely careful and do it in plenty of ventilation like open the garage door and get a cross breeze going. Melting plastic gives off highly toxic fumes which is why it stinks to "high heaven".
It will also kill any canaries in the room too.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishEggs View Post
It will also kill any canaries in the room too.
Hopefully that's not from personal experience

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:25 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you his head is large(r) now.

Hotwire Foam Factory
It is used for small foam stuff like chair cushions.
Fisheggs had it pretty close, the web site above is exactly what he used it was a cheap tool. I can't figure out how to link like that yet. Another day perhaps.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:26 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh, I see it links it automatically! Learn something new everyday.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:23 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just googled hot knife and picked the first site that came up for the pro model. the hobbico model i knew about from when i ran a hobby store. Land Locked's site looks pretty good and i bookmarked it for future projects. Thanks LL.

No never killed a canary with toxic fumes i just know that can happen to them.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Land locked, that looks great. Just the pic I needed to see. Thanks
Old 04-28-2008, 06:13 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

One other suggestion that I followed after the advice I received here was that I hung my lights 10 inches above the surface of the water. I had them on the little legs they came with but the temp was all over the place. You can see in the pic, it looks nicer hung too! Someone posted the link for the hanging kit for me but I actually ended up ordering them from foster and smith for about $19.00. I am telling you I do not know what I would have done if it weren't for AA. I know I would have thrown my hands up and quit. I am so addicted to this now it is sick
Old 05-01-2008, 10:19 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Like most others have suggested it is best not to have the glass lids on. Especially on a salt water tank.

Tags
eat, glass, glass tank, heat, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com