Glass tank tops on or off? Heat concern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Latitude_change

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got home last night and found my temperature climbed from 78 to just over 80 in the matter of 10 hours with no lights on. I currently have glass tank top on, but wondering should I keep it off or remove a section of it to allow better airflow and gas escape?

tank info: My tank is a 58 gal with 10gal sump. I currently have 70 lbs of LR and lighting is a Coralite Lunar aqualight deluxe--96w 10,000 daylight bulb and 96w blue actinic bulb.

My tank recently cycled, and I have some snails and blue leg hermit crabs working on some algae left over from the previous owner of my LR. I am holding off on my first fish purchase for a couple of weeks.

Did the heater get stuck on or do you notice a pump running hot? While a 2 degree jump isn't bad in 10 hrs, I would want to find out what made it go up.

You should have those cover off for both reasons you mentioned. It will also help your pH by leaving the top opened.

the only reason to have a cover on would be so a fish doesn't jump out onto the floor. Do you have any suicidal type fish in your tank? I have probably the same light fixture as you and when I had my glass top on you could touch the glass and feel the heat. My water level was almost touching the glass top and it acted as another heater. I now go topless.

Even if you have fish that may jump it is better to use egg crate rather then glass tops. In SW you really want the surface of the water to be exposed to the air.

I am going to investigate the heater a bit more, but I believe it is working fine. I had it set at about 76 so it hasn't been on in awhile--at least the light hadn't been on, but like a said I am going to investigate that a bit more.

Right now I have no fish in the tank, but my first purchase was going to be a pair of O. Clowns and then build on a few compatible fish as time goes on. From my FW days, I just always had a cover because of jumpers. I purchased this set up used and it came with both a 3 piece glass top as well as a canopy. Decided not to use the canopy and now unsure of the glass top. Jusst trying to find out what everyone else does. Thanks!

Yep, HD or Lowes has them in the lighting section.

This may be dumb, but is it better to get it in white or would black be a better color? I am just trying to think what would blend better, cleaning, etc.

You`ll really be glad you got rid of the glass top. I think most folks use white.

I use the white. The best way I have found to cut the eggcrate is using side cutting pliars. Just nip your way through it.

you can get it in chrome as well, egg crate is great stuff for many uses, if you look closely you will notice it is tapered, on one face its thin the other is thick, the thicker side will block more light and can be used that way when changing bulbs for acclimation

I would really like to see a photo of what an eggcrate top looks like on an aquarium. If anybody has the time that would be awesome.

I would stick with the white. The crome will flake over time and I don't think you wan that stuff in your tank.

I wanted to give you guys an update. Before I left for work yesterday, I removed the front part of the glass top. That made all the difference. I guess that allowed the heat to escape because the temp was fine when I got home last night.

I am still gong to purchase eggcrate this weekend. Thanks for the advice.

I would stick with the white. The crome will flake over time and I don't think you wan that stuff in your tank.

if it was used for rock support in the tank I would agree, for a top cover? if its getting wet I would think there was something that needed attention as salt creep flakes will burn corals if they land on them

Here is what I did

I followed the advise I got here on AA when I had the same problem. We took the glass top back to the LFS and got store credit, which we promptly used. However, my can't just keep it simple, husband made a few adjustments. I did not like the look of the white egg crate for lighting, since where I placed my tank when you walk down the stairs into my living room it is the first thing you see. BUT we found the silver and yes we noticed it flacked off. Here is where my husband got creative. He cut the plastic with a tool they use for cutting foam. It looks like a solder gun with a thick wire on the end. It stunk to high heaven, but it made a beautiful smooth edge (which we needed for a bow front). Then to take care of the flaking he sprayed several thin layers of clear spray paint on it. It has been a few months now with frequently lifting and touching, banging around dropping on the floor and cat inquiry and no flaking. On the pic you will see a black patch, that is just solid thick foam used for cabinet liner. I did not like the algae growing in the overflow shoot, so I though if I got rid of the light going in there it would slow the growth down. I know this is a little extra work, but I am very happy with how it looks, since it is the focal point of the living room. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• P4270179.jpg
    P4270179.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 83
Thanks for posting the pic of the eggcrate. I have a sheet sitting in my garage and haven't been motivated enough to cut it for my 46g bow. What is the name of the tool that was used to cut the eggcrate???

Back
Top Bottom