Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-01-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Glass Top VS Egg Crate Top

Which is better for a SW system? We're thinking of replacing our glass top with an egg crate top is this a good idea or bad? Also among the items we brought, there were copper based ich meds, dried live rock and dead coral (not very much of each) that may or may not have been treated with this. Toss or keep.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

As far as the tops the eggcrate is better as it allows for good gas exchange at the surface which helps your PH to be where it needs to be and remain stable. Also aeration of your tank is done at the surface through surface aggitation. If you have a glass cover there it hinders the aeration process.
As far as the copper meds and rock. If the rock has been exposed to the copper medicine I would toss it. If it has and you put it in your main then it will leach out and kill your inverts and possibly your corals. If you do keep the copper medicine always only use it in a QT. NEVER in your main tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Melosu58 got it all, but I would opt for hyposalinty in QT and dump the copper altogher. It's very hard to be keep the levels in the right range and not kill the fish.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

So will the egg crate block out any of the light? Seems to me it would..
Old 09-01-2008, 10:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes egg crate that you buy at the store is sold as a diffuser AFAIK, so thats its purpose. I'm not into SW so I'm not sure whats the best setup
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok, we've decided to go with egg crate on the front of the hood and leave the glass under the lighting. We'll post a picture when we finish it.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

there are two sides to egggcrate, one side is thicker than the other. the thicker side is placedup towards the light, it will help by focusing the light into the tank. the lost of light is marginal at best this was written about a few years ago in fama and is agood idea for most setups but mh. keeps fish in and heat down
Old 09-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

why is it not good for MH? i have mh and eggcrate...but didnt know it may not be a good idea
Old 09-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Egg crate is a good idea. It allows proper lighting through and keeps fish in the tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropin View Post
there are two sides to egggcrate, one side is thicker than the other. the thicker side is placedup towards the light, it will help by focusing the light into the tank. the lost of light is marginal at best this was written about a few years ago in fama and is agood idea for most setups but mh. keeps fish in and heat down
I understand and thanks... I was asking because of this quote that said it was a good idea for all by "mh".

Tags
egg, glass, glass top

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com