Glue for plumbing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D.Schneidt

Aquarium Advice Regular
Get guys, if I'm going to hard pipe the pluming on my tank is there any special glue I should use? Or will any PVC glue work just fine and not harm anything in my tank?

PVC glue will work just don't use the primer just sand your fittings first to make sure there clean

Make sure you give it time to cure. I used PVC solvent cement (plumbing glue) on my 80 and its STRONG smelling. Got a buzz off it so might want to wear a mask too. Lol!

Im also hard plumbing my tank, is the pvc cleaner ok to use as well as the cement or should i skip the cleaner step and just sand as well?

I got a clear cleaner not the purple primer I wanted a cleaner look to the plumbing. I would assume it is safe, but we all know what happens when we assume. So i asked :)

Me don't know, the primer just softens up the PVC so the glue makes a tighter bond. I used it before on water lines or irrigation with high psi but for my sump I went with the PVC cement and wiped it done with a rag. Either way just be reef safe and no worries.

I used the clear on mine.. I'm not running salt water but my discus hasn't complained. :)

PVC glue will work just don't use the primer just sand your fittings first to make sure there clean

+1... And make sure you're quick about pushing the fittings together or else they will bond together before fully pushed together

Back
Top Bottom