Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-05-2005, 11:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Gobies and Pistol Shrimp

I don't have a SW tank but I've been researching over the past couple months in order to set one up later.

I have been looking at the gobie/pistol shrimp combo and I was wondering what the best gobies would be to get for the pistol shrimp and which pistol shrimp to go with the gobies (like give me examples of ones combined in nature). TIA

I'd like to try out this combo when I set up my own SW tank.
I currently have three FW tanks up and running.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any of the shrimp gobies would be fine. I hae a yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair. Just remember that there is still no guarantee that they will will actually pair up.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Which types of pistol shrimp are easy to keep/hardy?

They have several types on liveaquaria.com , like the tiger, japanese, bullseye, and I guess a general one.

And what would be easy to keep/hardy shrimp goby?

The yashia white ray shrimp gobie looks very cool. Shrimp gobies

And in what order would you add them to the tank? Gobies first then shrimp, shrimp then gobies, together, or does it matter?
Old 12-05-2005, 07:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I got both of mine at the same time (yellow goby and tiger pistol shrimp) But since going into the tank they have gone thier seperate ways I see them together every now and again but not like they should I would try to check out your LFS and see if they have any paired up I know at PSP were I work we have a pair and will only sell it as a pair I know a couple of people that have Tigers and never had a problem with them HTH
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

So it sounds like the best way to pair them would be to keep them in a small tank (possiblely refugium) for awhile so that in the smaller space they could pair and then later introduce them to the main tank. You think this would work?

Tags
gobi, gobies, pistol, pistol shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com