Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2005, 10:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

gobies and shrimp

I've read some gobies will form relationships with pistol shrimp. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there any chance this would work for a mandarin goby?

I'm assuming it wouldn't but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2005, 12:17 PM   #2
steve-s

A mandarin won't pair with anything 'cept another mandarin.

What your looking for are shrimp/watchman gobies.
http://wetwebmedia.com/shrimpgobies.htm

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-30-2005, 08:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

A mandarin is actually a dragonet and not a traditional goby. There are some species of goby that do pair with pistol shrimp, they are ussually refered to as "shrimp gobies". I have a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair (pic in my gallery) and it is a great relationship to watch.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the info. I figured it was too much to expect but was still hoping. I ended up finding a yellow watchman this weekend which I kinda picked up on an impulse. I still don't expect him to pair with my pistol(s). I guess I'll just wait and see.

Also, do you have anything specific you feed your watchman? Are they okay on just mysid?

Thanks again.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I ended up finding a yellow watchman this weekend which I kinda picked up on an impulse. I still don't expect him to pair with my pistol(s). I guess I'll just wait and see.
You will love your yellow watchman. It is a great fish. Mine found my pistol shrimp in a matter of minutes. Your chances are pretty good. Keep us posted.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Also, do you have anything specific you feed your watchman? Are they okay on just mysid?
Sorry, missed that part. Mysis will be just fine. A good quality flake will along with it.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think the pistol(s) are in an opening which faces the back of my tank. My biggest concern is that if they pair, that they will stay on the wrong side of the rock work.

I'd hate to add to my bio-load without at least being able to see my fish. I guess I can only wait and see.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

My pistol has dug a vast network of tunnels in the sand, under my LR. They appear together all over the tank.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

That's good to know. I didn't realize they dig that much. Hopefully he will stop chipping at my lr.

Tags
gobi, gobies, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com