gobies and shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeNero1331

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've read some gobies will form relationships with pistol shrimp. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there any chance this would work for a mandarin goby?

I'm assuming it wouldn't but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

A mandarin is actually a dragonet and not a traditional goby. There are some species of goby that do pair with pistol shrimp, they are ussually refered to as "shrimp gobies". I have a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair (pic in my gallery) and it is a great relationship to watch.

Thanks for the info. I figured it was too much to expect but was still hoping. I ended up finding a yellow watchman this weekend which I kinda picked up on an impulse. I still don't expect him to pair with my pistol(s). I guess I'll just wait and see.

Also, do you have anything specific you feed your watchman? Are they okay on just mysid?

Thanks again.

I ended up finding a yellow watchman this weekend which I kinda picked up on an impulse. I still don't expect him to pair with my pistol(s). I guess I'll just wait and see.
You will love your yellow watchman. It is a great fish. Mine found my pistol shrimp in a matter of minutes. Your chances are pretty good. Keep us posted.

Also, do you have anything specific you feed your watchman? Are they okay on just mysid?
Sorry, missed that part. Mysis will be just fine. A good quality flake will along with it.

I think the pistol(s) are in an opening which faces the back of my tank. My biggest concern is that if they pair, that they will stay on the wrong side of the rock work.

I'd hate to add to my bio-load without at least being able to see my fish. I guess I can only wait and see.

My pistol has dug a vast network of tunnels in the sand, under my LR. They appear together all over the tank.

Back
Top Bottom