Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2010, 01:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Goby in a community tank

I was thinking of getting a white sleeper goby to sift the sand and had a few questions. QT tank is usually bare but should you put aragonite in there for this specimen? Do you need to QT it? Weill it get along with shrimp and the other cleaners in the tank? I've been told it's reef safe yes?

Steve

Old 11-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
They are reef safe and will not bother coral or other inverts. I find gobies to be very solid fish and i think it will be fine in a QT with out any sand as long as you have a few places for it to hide. I would suggest watching it carefully in the fish store thought and make sure it eats before you bring it home.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

You talkin' about theb white sleeper head goby with the vivid yellow stripe? Notorius for perishing in tanks since they often don't take prepared foods. Good luck. Look at the bullet goby too. Not nearly as pretty, but they do move some sand too and eat better. Having said that, be wary of any of the goby's that like to pile sand up if you have corals placed on or very near the bottom. They tend to cover the corals with sand.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've never heard of that type of goby. I was thinking more along the lines of the pink spots and the yellow head sleeper. Both of those seem fairly easy to care for. I know the bullet gobys have a good reputation for being easy as well.

I agree with the sand and corals problem. This can be extra annoying if you have a very fine sand. They can really make a mess with that stuff.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I did mean the "Yellow" sleeper head goby. This one is the one I was referring to. Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Sleeper Gold Head Goby

Never heard of anyone having success with them. I know I didn't. Carpet surfer too If I remember correctly.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I must be mistaken then. I don't have a ton of experience with them. I'll have to do a bit of reading about them then.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:40 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I should clarify. The one I was thinking of was the orange spotted sleeper goby. I feel bad that I'm about to put it in QT without sand. Is the sand going to hurt anything? Or I should say aragonite. I guess it can carry diseases like other fish so it should be qt'd.

Steve

Tags
community, community tank, goby, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com