goby question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

utahcutter

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i have set up and 80 gal. SW tank. I cylced it with a couple of damsels which took a while, but everything is going well. I decided to add a few "cooler" fish to the tank, and brought home a yellow tang, and a gold headed sleeper goby. My question comes with the base I used for the tank. Being a newbie I put CC in it, and have noticed that it is to large for the goby to filter through his gills. He is eating from the top, but can't do the job he's meant to do. Any suggestions, or am I worrying over nothing and he will be fine? :?:

I think you'll find that the sleeper goby will eventually starve, even though he is eating. This is a fish that is best left in the ocean, IMO, most either starve after depleting the sandbed of infauna, or go carpet surfing.

Well thanks for the info. I wish I had known that earlier. Is the problem the same with all goby's or just this particular type. And seeing as I have already purchased the fish are the any ideas of things I can try to help him last a little longer. Maybe a type of pellet or something? Thanks for your help.

Is the problem the same with all goby's or just this particular type.

It tends to be a problem with the sleeper gobies, although they eat from the water column, they do not get enough or the right type of food to sustain them. I have heard of people (that believed it was a quantity problem) burying food in the sand bed, I do not know if it ws successflor not.

I have the same problem with my Green Madarin Goby except it wont eat at all. And, like I mentioned in another thread, the other fish think its food.

I also read that gobies need a lot of live rock to live (they eat off it).

Green Madarin Goby except it wont eat at all.

Mandarins are not really Gobies, but Dragonets. And they typically will not eat any prepared foods - which is why a large/established tank with a lot of LR and a DSB is recommended - they usually will eat *only* the live fauna found in LR & sand.

Back
Top Bottom