Goby suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skyrmir

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm still researching like mad to figure out everything I'll need to get my salt water tank up and running. Hardware wise, I've got things under control. At least I will once I evict the fresh water angels from the tank and drain it for the rebuild.

So far my only real goals with this tank are 2 clown fish an anemone. Everything else can be changed around making that work, and I'm not worried if the clowns host, but I'd like it to be a compatible anemone if they feel the call.

Anyway, back to the reason for the post, Goby's. With a 30 gallon tank and expected clowns/anemone, are there any I should worry about getting eaten or eating someone they shouldn't? From what I've been reading, they should get along fine with the clowns, I'm just not sure if I can mix them with an anemone.

Searching around for info is getting a bit dense at points...
Maximum Size: the Gobiodon atrangulatus grows up to 1.5 inches.
General Size Specifications: These fish generally will come to you 1 - 2.5 inches.
Somehow I'm thinking there's a typo, or they ship the poor guy stretched out on a rack...

Of course my favorite so far has been for a plant:
Lighting: Has lighting needs.
Really? Ya think? Next they'll tell me it has water needs too...

Ok, done venting now. If anyone has a suggestion for a small peaceful Goby with some nice color it'd be appreciated. Just with the literally tons of info out there, I'm trying to narrow down the research a bit. That way at least I'll be sifting through typo's about the right fish.

I love my yellow watchman goby. It makes a great pair with my pistol shrimp. Any of the shrimp gobies are a good choice, especially if they decide to pair with a pistol shrimp.

The anemone will need a mature tank of about 9-12 months.
Yup, I just don't want to have the tank running that long and figure out I have to get rid of a fish to put what I want in the tank. I like the pistol shrimp too. I hadn't read about the pairing they do yet. Mainly just liked the colors I'd seen on the gobies and most places I've seen said they would be fine with any clown.

I'm leaning towards Heteractis Crispis (Sebae) and either a false clown or a yellow tail right now. I just want to find more info on the anemone. It seems like it would be too large for a 30 gallon, but I've seen it suggested on wetwebmedia. It's a bugger picking fish based on what I want to add to the tank a year from now, but I'd rather plan now than have to return or worse lose fish later. I'm trying to avoid the mistakes I made with the freshwater setup.

I'm leaning towards Heteractis Crispis (Sebae)
Beware that is one of the more difficult anemones. Overall it is more delicate than some others and it has high lighting needs- preferably MH. Something like a bubble tip anemone would be better for a couple reasons. One they are readily available as aquacultured specimens. That saves the naturals reefs unneeded stress. Two, aquacultured specimens are hardier and more likely to be successful and healthy in aquariums long term. They have adapted to life in captivity already so to speak.
BTW have you considered cleaner gobies? They will actively clean other fish as well as eat prepared foods. Very personable fish, and their small size makes them easier to keep, even in pairs/groups, without affecting the bioload too much. HTH and best of luck.

Only thing that has me leaning towards the Sebae was a suggestion on wetweb for putting one in a 29 gallon tank like mine, and it's listed as a compatible anemone for True Percula or the Ocellaris. I was thinking about a BTA until I saw a few of them at the LFS that were nearly the size of my tank, and Ocellaris seem to be dodgey on hosting them. I'd go with a Clarkii, but I figured they'd get a bit big for the tank as well.

I'm liking the shrimp goby idea myself. The pairing kills two birds with one stone since I was thinking a shrimp or two would be good too. And the trigger shrimp seem to be lighter colors which I'm hoping will look good with the rock I'm picking up.

Both BTA's and Sebaes get fairly large. A Sebae can get well over 12" wide.
BTA until I saw a few of them at the LFS that were nearly the size of my tank,
The size of the anemone will often change w/ lighting. Anemones that are not getting enough light will over inflate in order to increase their surface area to capture more light/energy. BTA's that are not getting enough light will often do this, but it's hard to say for sure w/ out seeing them. When I had my BTA under 2x75 watt VHO fluorescents in my old 29 gal, it was about 8-10" across. Since putting it under more intense lighting (MH), it has started to reproduce regularly and all 7(!) that I now have stay under 4" wide- plenty of light, no need to stretch all the way out, and all have their bubble tips back again. FWIW In nature BTA's (entacmaea quadricolor) are found in two forms. One is a solitary animal, that tends to get fairly large. The other's are more colonial, living in groups (same species though), and staying fairly small- approx. several inches across.
I was thinking about a BTA... Ocellaris seem to be dodgey on hosting them.
My Occ's hosted in a BTA for awhile before finding the Sebae I have. If the Sebae wasn't there, I'm fairly certain they would still be in one of the BTA's. In a tank it's really a crap shoot no matter what. I'm not sure, IMO/IME, pairing clowns/anemones found together in nature guarantees anything more. I think your best bet w/ an anemone is going to be one that's hardy- especially if this is your first reef.
At least I will once I evict the fresh water angels from the tank and drain it for the rebuild.
If you have ever used copper in this tank you may want to rethink using it to house inverts. It's been said that small amounts of the copper may leach out of the silicone, etc. back into the water. Copper is extremely toxic to invertebrates.

HTH

Not worried about copper in the tank, it was being used for a reef tank with inverts before I got it, and I've never put any in there. Only worry I have about the tank is my custom overflow keeping up with the bigger pump. Worst case scenario if it clogs is that it'll drain off the water in the pump housing and my pump will kill itself. More likely it'll just make a really loud racket.

I realize no matter what I do, getting the clowns to host is a crap shoot. I just want to weight the dice. Not a guarantee, but improves the odds. I think what's making it harder too is that I really don't like the look of the cinnamon, tomato or skunk clowns. Probably because I'm going salt water to get more interesting looking animals.

I have a firefish, and I love it. Bit of a scaredy "cat" though. I think it is cool how he will quickly dart in and out of the rocks if he thinks something might happen. Sand sifting gobies are really cool as well, and will help clean your tank. Gobies are great in general- you can't go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom