Goby Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinM

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone ran a Goby tank? Im still(a month now) trying to figure out what to do with my 75 gallon, either leave it saltwater(was a reef tank) or change it to FW.. But lately Ive been looking at Gobies.

I was thinking a Goby tank with like some

Blue Gudgrons
Firefish/Purple Firefish Gobies
Rainbow Goby
Watchman Goby

Maybe a Sissortail Dartfish/Darts?

I cant really find anything about a Goby Only tank, just info about this or that Goby.

I know some, if not most, gobies are aggressive with their own kind unless it's a mated pair. Therefore I don't think you'd be able to do firefish and purple firefish, but I could be wrong.

I do know that most gobies are jumpers, so you'd definitely need a tight fitting lid on your tank. Some, like the watchman, burrow as well so you'd need to think about what substrate you'd want.

Would you try a goby/shrimp pair, or just all gobies as a FOWLR?

Right. Fire fish are aggressive. They are also jumpers. I would chose gobies that stay on the bottom. Neon gobies, shrimp gobies, ect.

I have several gobies in my 60g tank and have never had any issues. I currently have 1 firefish, green glown goby, yellow clown goby, neon goby, citron goby, a mandarin, a scooter, 2 clowns, and a barnacle blenny. The most aggressive fish is the blenny, he sometimes used to chase the mandarin a bit, hasnt in awhile now, but he was all talk and no action anyways. lol

The most aggressive community fish I've had was a red lipped blenny which recently got taken out by one of the big fish that he was biting. Do your research on each fish and find out if the ones you want have any aggressive tendencies. I knew the red lipped was kinda mean but I did put him in a fish only semi aggressive tank to hopefully get a good combination. he went into the tank attacking everyone so it's all dependant on each individual fish.

I also have a firefish and a purple firefish together with no problems, a little chasing around but no real fighting.

Thank you everyone, Didnt see anything about Firefish hating their own kind lol. Most of the wedsites with them just say they are Reef safe and blah blah, Good thing I asked hehe.

was thinking of a FOWLR set up with them. Sand as substrate. I really like the Sissortail Darts and the Blue Gudgrons Maybe thats a tank right there hehe.

Back
Top Bottom