Going from 30 gal to 55 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

princess4880

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone advise me the easiest fastest way to convert from a 30 gal to 55 gal tank?

I would suggest that you just switch everything over to the bigger tank. When I switched over to my 125 gallon from my 55 gallon I just added about 3/4 of my water from my 55 gallon and then added new water till it was full. Take all the LR and switch it over since it is already cured and supplement new LR that is cured at the LFS. I would not switch over the sand as it is really foul once you get past the surface of it. Add new sand and seed it with a cup or two of the old sand. Then bring over the corals and fish. I did mine in half a day.

Thanks for the information. I will now go look for the 55 gallon tank I have wanted for sometime now. How much live sand for a 55 gallon? Also how many fish? I have a tomato clown(5 inches) and blue damsel(about 2 inches) currently, coral banded shrimp, and some clean up crew with about 50 lb live rock.

Dont waste your time with so called LS. Get some dry sand rinse it out really good and put it in your new tank and seed a cup or two from your old sand to make it live. That so called LS has been bagged for months making me think there is no live product there anymore. JMO

Back
Top Bottom