Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2013, 12:49 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ok then one would be ok. i just orderd one for my 29 gallon. so what ither equipment do you have so far?

Old 07-03-2013, 02:34 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congrats! You're joining the dark..uhm..I mean the reef side. I remember posting on your thread when you were starting out. I can't believe it's been a year already. Anyway, I've seen used LEDs w/ no brand names go for $90 on my local reef forum. Maybe you have a forum for you area that you can find some deals. Otherwise $130 is going to be the "damage". These are the ones recommended by lots of reefers on here and elsewhere. They're also dimmable which is really handy. I have something similar that works fine.

New Dimmable 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank White Blue LED Light Black US | eBay

As far as corals, the easiest corals are mushrooms, xenia, and green star polyps. It's pretty hard to kill them. They can take over so maybe putting them on their own rock to grow would be best. It's really easy to trim back xenia though if it overgrew. Duncans are hardy and grow fast when fed. Zoas are pretty hardy too. A torch coral was one of my first corals and it's always done well. As long as you have stable, ideal conditions, and sufficient lighting, the corals will most likely do well.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes obscurereef, I remember you helping me immensely when I set up my big tank last year. Thank you again.
Just to clarify, if going LED, how many watts would I need for a 20gal high?
And would it be possible to keep a flame angel in this tank?
Old 07-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Or other than LEDs, what are my options?
Old 07-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

First, don't use tap water on a reef. That will cause problems down the road.

Your stocking list looks fine. 20 is a bit small for a flame.

You will need a good light or pair of lights to grow any corals. We suggest LED. But all LEDs are not equal. Several threads here discuss this continuously. For softies, 30-40 watts of LEDs on a 20 gallon would probably do. Double it for hard corals.

You need a set of good tests to monitor water quality and several pumps to have a lot of flow.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok, so i've been looking at lights and i found a 24" T5 dual HO fixture. it supports 2x 24W bulbs. is this strong enough?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

edit: i also found a quad fixture which would equal to 96W instead of 48W. i assume this is much better? what kind of corals could i keep with each of these?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think the leds might be overkill to be honest. I have a taotronics unit over my 60g which is 2 feet deep.

i also use Aquatraders - Guaranteed Best Prices on Aquarium Lightings + Free Shipping! light units. For that tank I believe you can get a 4 bulb t5 system with timer for around $100. I think the 24" model is only $89 on ebay as well.

You could always get the adjustable led's but then theres the issue of how to mount them over the tank. You cant just drop the fixture on a glass cover, I have mine hanging over my 60g with two large bars attached to the back of the stand. Also, with a sw tank you would want to skip the glass tops as well to aid in the gas exchange.

I have tried every single lighting setup and still fallback to t5's alot, they can be a tad more expensive over the long run as you have to replace bulbs every year or so and they cost a bit more to run electricity wise. You can't beat the shimmer you get from led's tho, but I'm thinking it';s a personal preference
Old 07-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Carey! I though aliens got you...
Old 07-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Lol Almost Greg, the wedding bug! been immersed 24/7 in wedding details.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com