Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok so at this point I'm leaning towards a 4 bulb t5 HO (96w). Can someone confirm for me what types of coral this could maintain.
Can this type of fixture just sit on top of a hood with a glass panel or does the tank have to be open? I'm worried about fish jumping out if its topless.
I will most likely be running an AC50 filter on this 20gal tank. Will a circulation pump be necessary too?
This is going to be a stupid question, but how do you acclimate corals? Drip acclimation just like fish and inverts? And then do you just throw them in like fish or somehow mount them somewhere or something?
And I've heard of corals killing each other. Should I be concerned about this?

Just to go over it again. For a 20gal high I'd be looking to do:
2x ocellaris clownfish
1x royal gramma
1x bicolour angel OR flame angel
1x manadrin dragonette
2x fire shrimp
2x Mexican turbo snails
1x sand sifting starfish
And a bunch of assorted corals.

Would this all be too much? And YES I'm well aware of the difficulty in keeping a manadrin and would only add it once my tank is very well established, full of pods and even supplement pods as necessary.
Same with the starfish- add it later.

Would the starfish eat the blood shrimp?

Also I will be using aragonite sand (not live) and be doing a deep sand bed. Is this okay?
And what problem will develop down the road by using tap water?

Thanks everyone for the help and advice

Old 07-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

DON'T use a glass top! It will cause heating problems in the tank (essentially turning your tank into a greenhouse), and pH problems. If you are worried about your fish jumping, you can put a screen over the top of the tank.

I'm not 100% sure, but your stocking list seems like too much (but I'll let someone with more stocking knowledge jump in on that one)

I cannot stress how important it is that you do not use tap water! Phosphates, nitrates, silicates, copper, and iron: just a few of the things that can be found in tap water. You don't want to be introducing these kinds of things into your tank, ESPECIALLY if you are going to be housing corals. Get an RO/DI system, even used on Craigslist or eBay.

I did some research on Deep Sand Beds a while back, and it seemed like there were two sides: either they absolutely loved them, or they hated them. I just decided that I didn't want to start messing with something that I didn't know much about.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonkey View Post
DON'T use a glass top! It will cause heating problems in the tank (essentially turning your tank into a greenhouse), and pH problems. If you are worried about your fish jumping, you can put a screen over the top of the tank.

I'm not 100% sure, but your stocking list seems like too much (but I'll let someone with more stocking knowledge jump in on that one)

I cannot stress how important it is that you do not use tap water! Phosphates, nitrates, silicates, copper, and iron: just a few of the things that can be found in tap water. You don't want to be introducing these kinds of things into your tank, ESPECIALLY if you are going to be housing corals. Get an RO/DI system, even used on Craigslist or eBay.

I did some research on Deep Sand Beds a while back, and it seemed like there were two sides: either they absolutely loved them, or they hated them. I just decided that I didn't want to start messing with something that I didn't know much about.
+1 agreed.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

How often to T5 bulbs need to be replaced? And bow significant is the difference on your electric bill compared to LEDs?
Old 07-09-2013, 02:23 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

on a nano, the electricity is minimal from the lights, so there shouldn't be much of a jump on the electricity bill
Old 07-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

T5s need to be replaced every 9-12 months
Old 07-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok so my ultimate question then is what type of corals could I have with a quad t5 (96w)?
And what type of corals could I have with the taotronics dimmable 120w LEDs?
Thanks
Old 07-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Softies and Lps with the t5s possibly some sps. With the LEDs you can keep whatever you want
Old 07-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpbustillo View Post
Softies and Lps with the t5s possibly some sps. With the LEDs you can keep whatever you want
Exactly. With the T5's, you could keep some SPS if you were to put them towards the top of your rockwork, to give them the most possible light. With LED's, you could have generally anything. Have you considered doing a DIY LED setup?
Old 07-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't think I'm handy enough to do DIY lights. But it's looking like I'm gonna order the taotronics dimmables. Does it matter how high above the tank the lights hang if its dimmable?
What are the different types of corals? I want to research the different needs of each.
Hard corals
Soft corals
Sps
Lps

Do I have that right? Am I missing anything? I'm feeling very overwhelmed by this whole thing. There's so much I don't know about.
How do you acclimate coral?
Do you just drop them in like fish or do you place them somewhere specific in the tank? If so, how do you make them stay in place? Or do they move themselves?
Does the size of your tank restrict the corals you can get? Do they outgrow tanks?
Do they need to be fed?
I've heard of them stinging fish. Is this something I should be worried about?
Thanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com