Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-22-2004, 12:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Going from freshwater to salt

I have a 75gal tank that is freshwater and I'd like to convert it to saltwater. I've heard that it's a demanding job keeping a saltwater tank clean and the fish happy - daily cleaning, the salt cakes on everything, etc., but I'm skeptical...it can't be THAT bad, can it?

Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 12:15 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Read Robert Fenner's "Conscientious Marine Aquarist" before you make another move!

IMO, you'd do well to read a bit and buy the right things. You'll enjoy it more doing the right (or righter ) things.

Good luck and welcome to AA!!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 12:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
I just converted my 55 to sw. I actually think it is easier because it is so much more interesting - especially if you are going with live rock. Every day there is something new to look at. I love to do the cleaning, and after 4 months, I still don't see any salt creep. I'm either doing things right, or extremely wrong. Make sure you ask lots of questions here - I bought almost $500 of things I don't need and will never use. (found these guys after initial set up ) Find a LFS you trust, and stick with them. That $500 would have been a wonderful sum to add to my new lights.
55 gal. reef. Coralife lunar lights 4 x 65, 120 lbs live rock. Remora skimmer, 3 power heads. 2 tank raise false percula,2 pajama cardinal,hermits, snails, Xenia, leathers, mushrooms, polyp frags, yellow sea cucumber, And last but not least - the miserable mantis.
stusclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 03:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Its not THAT difficult. It is more maintenance, mainly in water chemistry, than a non-planted freshwater tank, but if you set up the tank right, have a good skimmer, and don't over stock, teh tank almost runs itself (which is true of any 'proper' aquarium really).
Reef tanks are a bit more maintenance as you have to maintain alk and calcium levels, but that's something you can move up to after a few months of fish only or FOWLR setup. This also makes the transition to salt cheaper, since you won't have to spend $300+ on lighting right away.
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote

freshwater, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com