going on vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darb2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
my 75 gal has just finished cycling. I added some snails and 2 peppermint shrimp. In a month I am going out of town for 4 days, and was planning not to add any more livestock till I got back. How much and how often should I feed the tank to keep it going?

I don't think the 4 days will be a problem with just those critters you have.

I was also wondering though, what and how much you should "feed" the tank to keep the cleanup crew busy before you add fish. I plan on letting my tank mature for a few months after the cycle completes before I add fish.

4 days will not be a problem. I would add a little food when you get back for them to "clean up". They should be able to find stuff to pick at on the LR.
how much you should "feed" the tank to keep the cleanup crew busy before you add fish
A pinch of food should be OK. Do you have a lot of LR or LS you are waiting to mature? Maybe a couple hardy corals that you can feed will help you keep the tank fed. I would keep an eye on the nitrate. If it is rising or your tank gets cloudy you're feeding too much. :wink:

Dayna, 2-3 days is nothing to worry about. If it was 2-3 weeks then you should arrange to have someone come by every few days to feed a premeasured amount.

Depending on your water evaporation rate you may want to just top the tank off a little extra or have someone come by and add water to your tank. If you have someone come by have them add water to a specific level. Place a mark on the tank or give them some kind of frame of reference so they know when to stop adding water or when water is needed.

the biggest problem i see will be top offs your sg will be high when you come back without them if you have an auto top off that will not be an issue just try to plan for the unexpected next time i go i will leave the air on just in case of an unexpected heat wave :x . and dayna if your tank is mature with plenty of rock fish can go 2 to 3 days without eating you will basically have the same issues as darb2 unless you have corals then you should probably look into getting your lights on a timer...thats all i can think of for now hth

guess i was typing the same time as ff sorry to be so redundant :oops:

Back
Top Bottom