going on vacation, someone help me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scubasteve

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tanks finally cycling, in what seemed to be the longest 11 or 12 days ever for the ammonia to finally come down, i checked on saturday and voila, its down to zero. Now my nitrites can rise up then my nitrates.

I'm going on vacation for a week and bought an automatic feeder for the tank. Can anyone tell me if my damsels and clownfish would eat anytype of freeze dried food(or flakes) that i can put in the auto feeder and if so what type, brand etc. Thanks alot.

I started sprinkling dry flake food in my tank for my damsel... i'd swear he just swims with his mouth open when it's in the tank!! I use tetra flakes (oh hush!) but I would imagine any quality marine flake food would suit your damsels just fine while you're away on vacation.

I know your tank is still in-cycle, how soon are you going to go on vacation? You may want to do a water change before you leave just to improve their chances while you're gone.

Anyone you trust enough to come and just check ammonia/nitrite levels while you're gone? I can't imagine coming home to a dead tank...

I would be more concerned over evaporation than feeding the fish if your only going to be gone a week.

Feed them decetnly up till you leave (not sacraficing water quality) and they should be fine till you get back.

But if you have any decent amount of evaporation you could end up lossing 7-10 gal of water out of the tank and thats going to have a fairly large swing on salinity.

Yep. They will eat just about anything you put in the tank once they have gotten over the shock of the new enviorment.

Back
Top Bottom