Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Going out of town

OK. Now comes the part I dread. I'm going out of town Labor day weekend. I'll be gone from Friday night till sometime late Monday afternoon or early evening. I really don't like leaving my tank unattended for this amount of time and I don't have anybody to look after it.

What advice do you guys have to offer. Any suggestions on a reliable automatic feeder?

I have a 29g FOWLR, fairly young system, with about 25lbs of LR. 1 Ocellaris, 1 Purple psuedochromis, 1 Neon goby, 1 Choc Chip Sea Star, 2 peppermint shrimp, and a small handful of turbos, blue leg hermits and nassarius. Also running a Coralife needlewheel protein skimmer and 2 koralia nano powerheads.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm a FW guy but I know with my tank I can go away for the weekend and not worry about feedings (the fish will survive two or three days without food).

Invest a few bucks in a timer (like for a lamp) and put your lighting system on the timer so the stuff that needs light will get their normal day/night cycle.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I left town on a 5-day family vacation earlier in the summer when our tank was about 5-weeks old. My inhabitants at the time were about like yours (2 fish, a few crabs, snails, shrimp, feather duster).

I didn't do anything specific to prepare other than routine care and just left the lights out. I made sure the main water parameters checked out the morning we left.

Everything was fine when we returned.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPKeenan View Post
I'm a FW guy but I know with my tank I can go away for the weekend and not worry about feedings (the fish will survive two or three days without food).

Invest a few bucks in a timer (like for a lamp) and put your lighting system on the timer so the stuff that needs light will get their normal day/night cycle.
My lights are on a timer and my power is very reliable. Even when we have had outages in the past it is usually restored in under 3 hours.

My parameters stay consistant, so far anyway. pH=8.4, Ammonia=0, Nitrites=0, and nitrates hover around 20.

I'm just nervous about leaving it unattended that long.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

*lol* sounding like a new parent the fist time they leave the baby alone with a baby sitter for a night on the town.

But do know what you mean. First thing I do when i get home from work is call for my cat and check the tanks.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
I left town on a 5-day family vacation earlier in the summer when our tank was about 5-weeks old. My inhabitants at the time were about like yours (2 fish, a few crabs, snails, shrimp, feather duster).

I didn't do anything specific to prepare other than routine care and just left the lights out. I made sure the main water parameters checked out the morning we left.

Everything was fine when we returned.
Maybe my anxiety is unfounded. Everything has gone so smooth with this tank that I just keep waiting for "Murphy's Law" to kick in.

I'm not crazy about automatic feeders either. I feed them once a day. After they finish their "frenzy" I'll skim out any large leftovers with the net. I don't want to overload the tank with an auto feeder. Maybe like JP said, they'll be OK for 3 days without feeding?
Old 08-21-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
*lol* sounding like a new parent the fist time they leave the baby alone with a baby sitter for a night on the town.

But do know what you mean. First thing I do when i get home from work is call for my cat and check the tanks.
LOL. That's exactly what I was thinking when I started this thread.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

finally got both my tanks balanced, now to sit back and enjoy.....

The one I keep an inch or so down so I get that soothing waterfall sound. Nice to come home to that sound after a night at stress at work
Old 08-21-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
finally got both my tanks balanced, now to sit back and enjoy.....

The one I keep an inch or so down so I get that soothing waterfall sound. Nice to come home to that sound after a night at stress at work
I know exactly what you mean.

I could sit there and watch my for hours. Great way to relax and escape the stress.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I've left my tank for 5 days before with no feeding and everything was fine. If we fishkeepers do anything, it is usually overfeeding. The reef doesn't have anything like the amount of food we usually add to tanks so a few days will be no problem.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com