Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

a quarantine tank is always a great idea!!

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Will i need a skimmer for the holding tank? I will cycle it same time as the cude. I got a filter and heater already. Going get live rock n live sand tmw for both.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:09 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

You don't need a skimmer. This is when a filter is ok. For short term most of us can be faithful to cleaning it every couple days.

What are you planning on putting in there?
Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well i got a 29 bio cube. But im asking for a holding tank. So as we get fish we can put them in there a few days to make sure that they are ok befor putting em in our main tank.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:09 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you want a quarantine tank (QT) you don't want rock or sand in it. Normally a qt is setup for specific times (ie purchases or sick fish). You won't want rock or sand as that can adversely affect any meds you put in. No carbon in the filter either. I keep the bio-pad from my filter in my sump so I can keep the BB alive for when I need it.
Other than bare bottom tank you can put a few short lengths of PVC pipe in there of different sizes for fish to hide in.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

+1, the whole idea of a qt tank is to keep it as simple and bare as possible. IF you need to does for any reason, youll know full wellthat the medication is making it to the fish, and not getting sucked up by carbon, absorbed by live rock, etc. also you will need to keep the fish in there for more than a few days.most hobbyists keep a sick/new fish in qt for 3-4 weeks. i personally would say no less than 2 weeks AT MINIMUM. please remember that a qt tank should be used for ANY new incoming fish, not just sick fish you already have. using this method will go a lonnnnggg way towards preventing disease from reaching your main tank.the people that try to recommend skipping the qt are ones that havent dealt with a major infection/disease. anone thats had a system crash due to disease will tell you to do the qt
Old 11-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes i know a couple weeks i still have sum cories qt from lk 2 or so weeks ago. Id prolly do a mon with these expensive guys. Quick ? Today durring my research i saw a green mandarin i belive its spelled right. It say 30 for min so would a 29 be ok. And are they only ok in reef tanks? Ir would they even be ok with the clowns? I know id have to wait till the tank welly established.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

The mandarin is a beautiful fish. I am interested in one myself. They eat copepods but i heard they are very heard to keep fed and some tank bred may accept frozen food but I heard as well it's a PITA. Everyone will give you their opinion. You have to take into consideration the other fish in the tank as well as the adult size the fish will be when determining how big of a tank you have. If it states min 30 then I would go for it, the more swimming room the bigger the tank the better but I have seen these fish kept live and healthy in tanks that size.
TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The problem with Mandarins isnt so much with overall body size (they only reach a few inches) its more with having a sizeable tank to support a proper copepod population. if you dont have some form of refugium in the works, you may wanna look into ordering a few bottles of live copepods. you are gonna have to probably squirt a bit in every few days to help keep the lil guy alive. try to wait as long as possible before adding him.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
The problem with Mandarins isnt so much with overall body size (they only reach a few inches) its more with having a sizeable tank to support a proper copepod population. if you dont have some form of refugium in the works, you may wanna look into ordering a few bottles of live copepods. you are gonna have to probably squirt a bit in every few days to help keep the lil guy alive. try to wait as long as possible before adding him.
I was going to wait like a yr because i was reading somewhere that it cud take up to a year for a tank to fully mature. Now my son was home on a weekend pass so we went a head to finakky set this up after so many set backs n as we were filling it the tank started leaking :-( the place i got it from wont take it back bc its been over 2 weeks since i purchased it( the guy was so rude even to my son bc after he told me i cudnt replace it my son said but please my mommy had so much going on the guy looked at him n said i think its time ur mommy teaches u want a return policy means. Needless to say we will nvr go their again n im reporting him to his boss). Ugh. So went to my other ifs thats 2 hrs from my house n they are gunna take the leaky one and give me 250 off of a 28g nano cube with skimmer n light upgrade as thats wat i had in the 29. So hopfully some time this week it will come in n i can get it going for him. This ifs is also going to give us filter media from their sw tank in hopes to instantly cycle the tank. My boy has decided his stock to be 1 o orange clown n 1 blk n white o clown, a goby (undecided on kind yet any suggestions welcome) he wants a flame angel but they need 70g :-( at petsmart we saw i believe it was called a chocolate chip star fish max size 5 inches would this go in our tank? Id love a star fish but from what ive read some can be a fair bit nasty. Ill have research more. But your guys thoughts are always top of my decision making. I always like hearing personal experince wen doing sum thing.

Tags
salt, salt water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com