Going Salt Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So are they bred to look like they do (the vivid red). Also are saddle back clowns good clowns. I saw some black saddle backs. I need to stop looking :)

This brown stuff popped up on the sand today. Sud I gravel vac it out?

ForumRunner_20121224_201202.jpg

Ooh not sure about saltwater diatoms but I got snails to hit it in my fresh tank, so perhaps a CUC to clean?

I have 2 snails n a red legged h crab. So I guess I sud give them sum time to do their job. Merry Christmas everyone.

My boys Christmas pick :)
ForumRunner_20121226_171439.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121226_171401.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121226_171401.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 98
He named one marlin n the other dory ( since I broke his heart when I told him dory gets to big n clumsy for any of the tanks we cud possibly set up our biggest empty tank is 75 still not big enough) they seem to host the intake wen lights go out.

The blue night light is that ok to leave on all night or should it just be on when we are viewing the tank? Also how many snails would u recommend in a 24g?

He named one marlin n the other dory ( since I broke his heart when I told him dory gets to big n clumsy for any of the tanks we cud possibly set up our biggest empty tank is 75 still not big enough) they seem to host the intake wen lights go out.

The blue night light is that ok to leave on all night or should it just be on when we are viewing the tank? Also how many snails would u recommend in a 24g?

The moonlight should be okay all night. I have mine turn off at 1A, just so the fish can have some total darkness.
In a 24, I would start with 3-4 astrea or banded trochus, a few scarlet reef hermits and 4-5 Nassarius snails to gently stir the sand (and they're fun to watch rise out of the sand at dinner time).

When I had a saltwater tank I put some red-legged hermit crabs in. There were diatoms on the sand so they marched right over and it was gone in a couple of hours. You could try that. I also recommend nassarius snails as another invert choice.

Does rock n sand take up that much water volume BC its pose be 28g but we only had to put in 24.5 g : puzzled:

When I had a saltwater tank I put some red-legged hermit crabs in. There were diatoms on the sand so they marched right over and it was gone in a couple of hours. You could try that. I also recommend nassarius snails as another invert choice.

I have 1 red legged hermit he's so cute:) I need go get a cpl more n a cpl more snails. We are on our way back from picking our son up. He's home for next two weeks :) the snow is no fun tho we might stop at the sw fish store on our way to grab a few depends how hubby feeling with the roads.

Rock and sand will take up water volume. It doesn't matter though. It's the size of the tank, not how much water's in it (as long as you don't put one gallon of water in a 29 gallon tank lol).

Ok we bought some pods yesterday to get a colony going so say 6-8 Mons from now we can have a mandarin now I know it says 30 min but was told the 28 is fine. We almost backed outta the mandarin idea wen the tank only held 24.5 g but with your response n the guy at the sw store told us he would have plenty of room, as we decided to just have the two clowns and one other small fish thinking maybe a goby . But we will see. Things might change in that time period. And you were more than correct about the hermits we got three more n the brown stuff was off the sand with in 2 hrs guess they were hungry. We also have like a brown algae break out all over glass n back wall ( leaving lights on to long :duh: is what I'm assuming ) good thing we got more snails to they went right to work as well. So I think I'll be needing a couple more. Now the clean up crew don't add much to the waste right ( what the filter has to take care of sorry drawling a blank on the actual term right this sec)

The CUC eats their own waste most of the time so they don't really leave any. A mandarin and a couple clowns is perfect for a tank that size. All tanks go through a period of different algae outbreaks. You'll have the brown hair, followed by red slime, followed by green hair, and then coralline. Maybe not that order or those algae, but there will be some. The coralline algae actually needs the other to grow first before it can flourish.

Ok last night after lights were out for like an I noticed this lil white sea star ( had a lil of orange to) he is kinda deformed looking n gas 6 arms my tablet cent get a good enough pic of it n the app keeps crashing wen I try upload a pic from my camera memory card I'll try from my lap top in a lil bit. Also a worm its like orangish red on both ends but the middle is like a grey black?

So we decided against getting a mandarin for this tank. In fear tank might be to small for one. What are some cool bottom guys that could work in our tank?

Edit: we also got some purple coming on our rock:)

So our final stock will be. The 2 vivid clowns, a harliquin shrimp, 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, and our cuc snails, 3 hermits. So I think our tank should be pretty happy. We are going to try a couple coral frags in a couple Mons. Wooo thanks for all the help I'm waiting on a new memory card for my camera than I'll get new pics up.

couple new pics. bare with me please this is the first time i have been on from a computer and a lil dumb founded right now. and the lil white star in the last pic is he bad?

Attachments

• SAM_0489.jpg
    SAM_0489.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 97
  • SAM_0552.jpg
    SAM_0552.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 86
  • SAM_0565.jpg
    SAM_0565.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 98
  • SAM_0569.jpg
    SAM_0569.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 118
id rethink the harlequin shrimp. i believe he will eat other inverts. i love the coralline coming in on your rocks.

id rethink the harlequin shrimp. i believe he will eat other inverts. i love the coralline coming in on your rocks.

Thank you :) . I will look into that. So far from my research it says they strictly eat stars and some time urchins. But I will deffently look into it. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom