Going Salt Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do I have to use the exact filter media when I replace or can I do my own carbon bag n such. And does it matter the type of sponge. Thank you :)

you can def tweak your filtration to fit your needs but id try to change it one step at a time. that way if something goes wrong in terms of filtration, yull know where it came from

So we just got back home after a cpl days away and my son noticed the skunk cleaner shrimp shed is this good or should I be worried he's only been in the tank since Monday. All water levels are on spot. ( my son thinks its going to die :-(

Our 2 vivid red clowns passed away some time between 11 last night and sometime today. All my levels are right on spot amm-0 trites-0 trates-inbetween 0 n 10. The salt level was a lil high would that have killed them. The Harlequin shrimp and the skunk shrimp are both normal. There's also a torch coral and some polyps.

It could of been the salinity that led to the deaths as long as your other levels are okay. Did you check with a tds meter the water coming from your ro/di unit? - mine was high that's I never knew why I was losing fish the only reason why im asking

We use sea water from PETCO and for top offs we use distilled water.

What's a tds meter?

A tds meter is like a little pen meter that you dip in the water to test the total dissolved solids but if your using the water from petco that should be fine then.

Ill have get one who knows what could be in sea water.

My son and husband brought home this torch coral. The guy at the pet store told them all it needed was a iodine supplement so he got that. Now does it need be feed any thing else?

It doesn't need to be fed it will get its food from the water column and lighting. You may not have to supplement iodine as well, he may be able to return that. Most of the replacements are going to be fufilled by water changes.

I think this is awesome what ur doin for your little guy and I wish him the best!!! Also if u pick diff clowns mke sure u don't pick a clarki or maroon they are very agressive clowns

I think this is awesome what ur doin for your little guy and I wish him the best!!! Also if u pick diff clowns mke sure u don't pick a clarki or maroon they are very agressive clowns

Thank you very much. I've noticed the saddle backs can be quit nippy to. We'll stick with the O clowns.

Thank you :)

Here's a picture of the torch. Does he look good? My husband said in the store he wasn't so open?

My husband took my son out to pick out a couple coral frags. (My son isn't really understanding why we can't get a Nem yet.) And of course they see the torch and he think oh its like a nem. He paid 45$ for it. Is that good? Also in the back of the I don't know if you could see all the lil white spots what are they? That's the back wall.

We are gunna move so he's all up right tonigh . Hubby said he was like this at store. He not leaning on any thing.

ForumRunner_20130121_151056.jpg

Sorry bad pic tablet bits.

Distilled is fine I top mine off with it. If the white spots are spiral then they are a type of worm and come and go in the tank

Would these worms make it to the sand bed?

Last night about 20 mins after my son turned lights out he said he saw a bunch of lil worms like things come on the sand bed and when he turned on the light they scattered and by the time he got me they were all hidden again. He said some where like a grey some where like a Tanish color. He said some of them there ends where crawled under. I have no idea what they were but I'll be on night watch tonight. The shrimp don't seem bothered by what ever it is. But today is water change day so I'm just going to wait till 8 at lights out so I can try get some these things out.

Another question my hubby and son went to a new lfs today just to look and my son told him about his clowns passing away but his shrimp are doing great. The guy than went on to tell my son that the reason his clowns died was because he put them in the tank first and that the shrimp are ok because they weren't first. He told my son he should have brought chromis first. And he was trying sell them to my son and my hubby said that we had to figure out the worm thing first. So than when he found out we use lr he told my son you should nvr put lr right in your tank you should leave it sit out to dry first to kill any hitch hiker ( now wouldn't letting it dry out beat the porous of paying for lr ?) And mean while my son just keeps glancing at my hubby and when they guy was done talking my son says to him " my mom spent lots of time researching how set this up for me I don't think she'd doing something she didn't research and when she didn't know she asked her fishy friends so I think you might be a little wrong" needless to say my hubby and son are not aloud in there no more. There was some not nice things exchanged between works and my hubby. There's so many lfs around but they are so ******.

Our next trip to Philly we are going cheek around down there for good lfs.

That guy is an idiot. Clowns may not have survivedtge mini cycle that your tank went through when you added them. You will see many crazy things in your tank at night. The worms in the tank you are swing are more than likely safe and are beneficial to the tank as they will keep your sand clean. Never let rock sit out and dry would ruin the point of buying live rock as drying would kill everything. Live rock should be cured from shops but you can ask them how long they have had the rock. Also do a sniff test, if rock smells like dead fish either don't buy it or cure it your self. Examine rock when purchasing look for good hitch hikers (stomatellas for example) and bad hutch hikers(aiptasia). See aiptasia move on.

Thank you. I'm going still try get some of them out tonight if there seems to be quit a few. I didn't think they were to bad as my harlequin is on the bottom 99.9 % of the time wish his star fish and he wasn't bothered I inspected him and none of the coral seem to have been damaged, but always best to check. Oh yes a totally diff life comes alive at night in the tank. Lights off and instantly the skunk shrimp is inspecting all the rock we have a big Brisel worm who comes to life at night and are hermits all come to life at night.

These chromis fish he was talking about. My hubby says there was a blue/green on that was beautiful. Our tank is 28g in a couple weeks we are going get 2 more clowns. Would we also be able to have 2 of these chromis? I know we can't get all 4 at one time but say maybe in a week get the chromis than like a month get the clowns ( or would it be best get one fish at a time?). We only have a skunk shrimp and a Harlequin shrimp, a few snails, and like 6 reef hermits. I'm going to start my research on this chromis.

For a thermometer we are using a digital one that sticks to the outside of the tank and the lil thing suctions in the tank and is wired to the box out side its a marina brand. Has any one ever used these before are they good?

Back
Top Bottom