Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Going Salt Water

Ok so my son has 6 weeks of chemo than gets to come home. He has been wanting nemo in his room so im cutting back on any new tank prjects for now so we can get a salt water going for him. Reall all he wants is a boy and girl nemo a nem mayb a couple small colorful thing. Do they make salt water kits (lk u get tank lights filter) also any suggestions on what size tank and what are possible tank mates. I wanna get this going for when he gets home. This will be going in his room

Old 11-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbaygurl78745 View Post
Ok so my son has 6 weeks of chemo than gets to come home. He has been wanting nemo in his room so im cutting back on any new tank prjects for now so we can get a salt water going for him. Reall all he wants is a boy and girl nemo a nem mayb a couple small colorful thing. Do they make salt water kits (lk u get tank lights filter) also any suggestions on what size tank and what are possible tank mates. I wanna get this going for when he gets home. This will be going in his room
the tanks the same for fresh or salt, light doesn't matter if it is just for fish and you can use a hang on back filter rated for whatever size tank your get I think I would oversize the filter just a bit though. A 20 gal. is the smallest I would go if you have the room and the money I would go a little bigger if you could maybe a 29 or 30. Hope everything is good with your son good luck.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

For that type if setup you might want to consider a biocube. I have never had one but read about others. They seem quite customizable and able to support nems with the right upgrade.

Check the nano reef section.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Bio cubes thats it!!!! I am going to try n find a 29g. Now with clowns can we have 1 thats black one thats orange he wants one of each. Also in the 29 would a goby or two be ok with the clowns? My son is ok he sleeps alot n get sick alot but preyers n hopes hes a tough cookie
Old 11-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've got a 28g jbj nano cube it is fantastic. Everthing is all in one. You will be able to do two clowns just make sure one is smaller then the other and the larger of the two will become a female. You say your son comes home in 6 weeks? If possible grab the tank now put in sand, live rock and saltwater then place a table shrimp in so the tank will cycle before he comes home. When he is home he will be able to go and select the clowns with you. If you have any questions fell free to ask lotsa people here have great advice. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Awesome. Would a goby or 2 be ok with the clowns? Also is there always hitch hickers with live rock? Ive been doing reaserch on the clowns while my son naps i have a front n bak page of notes. Lol. Also would a 29g allow for another fish? Good possible tank mates for the clowns
Old 11-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

In my tank I have two oc clowns, a royal gamma, yellow watchman goby, pistol shrimp, three snails, three hermits. The last fish I add will be a cherub angel I just have to find one. Ya don't want to have to much more then that. Also when you add livestock you start with clean up crew after the cycle then a few weeks later you two clowns. A few weeks later another fish and so on. You can't add them all at once you have to allow the beneficial bacteria to catch up In between additions. I also do partial water changes once a week of 3 gallons. Helps to replenish nutrients in the water and export excess waste you don't want. I feed once every other day and not a lot at that. There is lots of food in the tank for them to eat.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok awesome. I always thought angels got to big but u jus put a lil sparkle in my eye.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Heres a charub angel http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...455&pcatid=455
Old 11-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ya I've seen many online. Problem being I live in Canada and I've heard Canada post dosent take kindly to shipping livestock. I've asked my lfs to order one in for me so now it's just waiting for one to show up. Thanks

Tags
salt, salt water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com