Going saltwater for first time need help/build thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking good! Now its just the waiting game.

Are the shrimp just regular ones for eating? Theres no issues with chemicals or anything?

Are the shrimp just regular ones for eating? Theres no issues with chemicals or anything?
It will just be a basic shrimp that is fit for human consumption so there is no issues with chemicals ect

Thanks, I am going to start testing ammonia tomorrow to see if the shrimp has started breaking down. It was just a regular jumbo I bought at the store raw and unseasoned.

Thanks, I am going to start testing ammonia tomorrow to see if the shrimp has started breaking down. It was just a regular jumbo I bought at the store raw and unseasoned.

Thanks! Hope the cycle is quick, I feel impatient already haha

Here is a day 7 update on the cycle. Ph 8.1, salinity 1.025sg, ammonia .5ppm, nitrite .25ppm. I have not started testing nitrates yet because I am waiting for nitrite levels to level out first. More to come!

what was your peak with ammonia source? , just seems to be moving along a tad fast
tank size?

It peaked at .5 - 1ppm, it's a 40 breeder. I am using seachem stability to speed it up and it seems to be working.

Here's another update on the tank. It's now day 14 of the cycle and everything is going great and at a fast pace. Here are my parameters so far ammonia is 0ppm after peaking at ~1, nitrite is at ~2ppm after going off the chart, and nitrates are ~40ppm. No algae blooms have happened, only change is powerheads and rock have what I would call a layer of biofilm on them since it's a milky tan color. The only questions I have is when nitrite goes to 0 is the tank considered cycled like freshwater or will nitrates also start to drop, do I need to do a Water change once done, and if so how big? Thank in advance for the help.

Yep! Once those nitrites hit 0 it's water changes until nitrates are also at 0.
It's time to add a fish then.
As for the biofilm, whatever it is you should be able to brush it off easily. I love dentist trips, always means my tank gets a new toothbrush.

Well guys today was the big day! Fish and small CUC added, 2 baby ocellaris clowns, 1 baby neon dottyback, 3 trochus snails, 3 scarlet reef hermits, and 2 nassarius snails(all they had). Here's some pic' s enjoy!20171015_181207.jpg20171015_181315.jpg

Back
Top Bottom