going to a bigger tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey,

I currently have a 25 gallon with a fluval 204 and about 10lbs of live rock. I am looking at buying this nice 70 gallon corner tank they have on sale at a local pet store.

my question is though, my 25 just completed its cycle and I just added a clownfish and a yellow tang (which is why I need a bigger tank soon). What I am wondering is the guy at the store said it would still do a small cycle again because it will have so much more water. What are the chances of the two fish surviving? I also have a bunch of snails and crabs in it.

I cant really cycle it before I move the fish over unless I also buy a new filter which I really dont want to have to do... Any advice on the best way to do this would be greatly appreciated!

IMO your going to need a bigger filter and/or a lot more lr. 10 lbs of Lr in a 70 and a 204 won't cut it . It may be fine for a short time but it will catch up to you in the long run.

yes I know that but right now I am more worried about getting it up and running without anything dying

put a ph head in it, add 30g of new sw, then do 3x 5g water changes to your 25, adding the old water to the new tank, do this over 4-5 days, then you will have 45g in your new then you can add all you water, rock, and fish from the 25, But I would upgrade the filter or rock, or both.

If you have sand in your current tank, use some of it to seed you new larger tank. 2-3 cups will help cut down the cycle time.

Back
Top Bottom