Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2007, 02:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

going to start a 300gl need help with what i should get

so far this is my list without make and model of items because those are to be determined

1.)300gal tank, stand, canopy $1200 glass $500 more for acrylic
2.)use current 55gal as sump wit small refugium $100 for supplies to convert to sump
3.)return pump $150
4.)skimmer $200
5.)ro/di system $200
5.)m/h lighting home built $350
6.)sand $500
7.)live rock $1200
8.)overflow $200
9.)piping $50

that is what i have so far and am wondering if i need anything else

thanks

Old 08-27-2007, 03:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
that is what i have so far and am wondering if i need anything else
A QT set up.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Test kit?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh...yes...the test kits...good call. Make sure to include calcium and alkalinity test kits along with the usual ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH kits considering this will be a reef system and don't forget the hydrometer. Trust me, with all the other stuff, it's really easy to miss the obvious...LOL. I'm much guilty of that one myself

A system that big, you could benefit from having a log book to keep track of test results and additives that go into the tank. Makes for easier troubleshooting should there be a problem.

Also something to highly consider with that kind of investment...a chiller, depending on where you live. If you have fairly hot summers, it will save your tank. Also fans built into the canopy will help.

I know someone with a 300 gallon reef. Gorgeous tank!! Have fun. I know I'd be in my glory with a tank that big.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
Old 08-27-2007, 10:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

yeah i look over the little things quite often myself which is the reason i posted this thread

im still debating weather to get the glass or acrylic tank

a tank like this has been a dream for me and since i am about to run into about 5k i thought i would give it a go

the dimension of the tank is 96x30x24

the reason i didnt add a qt setup is that i have 3- 10 gal tanks and a 20gal long from my fresh water days
Old 08-27-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Is it going to be a reef? If so then it's going to be more then $350 for the MH lighting system, unless you can get the ballasts and other parts really really cheap. The tank is 8 feet long so that will be at least 4, if you dont have overlap. So just the bulbs will be around $350 or more.

Do you have?

Refractometer

A 55 gallon trash can or bigger to mix your RO/DI water in.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I prefer acrylic due to weight, strength, and clarity. They do scratch easier than glass, but at least they can be buffed out easily unlike glass.

You would be better off using a 100g as a sump and using your 55g as a refugium. You also might want to think about constructing a closed loop for optimal flow. Depending on your climate, a chiller should be a consideration. To save on lighting, you can construct a reef flat that drops off into deeper waters or construct two patch reefs where lighting can be directed over the specific area of focus and allow residual light to blend in.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Now for an opposing view to acrylic...always helps to have both sides...

Acrylics are great for everything Innovator mentioned without a doubt, but what a bummer to get scratches on the inside where you'd need to drain the tank completely to buff out. Anyone I know with large reef tanks all have glass for that very reason.

Too bad there isn't a way to combat that little, but monsterous problem when it happens. Acrylic tanks look very nice without the seams most associated with glass tanks and make wonderful show tanks.

Nov/2004
Old 08-27-2007, 02:57 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Just an update on acrylic work, you can indeed buff scratches in the water effectively whether it is a fully set up reef tank or not. I have personally done so.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interesting. Is there a new product available that's safe to use in the water with fish and inverts or a special technique? Please do share

Nov/2004

Tags
start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com