going to start my first sw tank. 55gal hex.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marie74

Aquarium Advice Regular
I scored a deal on a 55 gal hex on CL with fluval canister and reef octopus skimmer.
Today's plan -rearrange the living room and place the tank in its new home.

Then I need to get started. I do not have a ro/di unit so... does that mean I need to hual 55 gals of water in from the lfs?

The decision is yours? I bought one and enjoy less trips to the LFS store. Water changes are weekly and it adds up. It's a hobby and its up to u.

It will take a to/do unit a whole day to make 50 gls. Depending on the one u buy. It took like 12 hrs for mine to fill up. It's work.

To be honest you may as well buy a RODI system as 55g of water is probably going to be half the cost of one. Within a couple of months you will probably have spent the same amount on water from your lfs. It just means that after this you will have a constant supply of water. You will save in long term!

The local LFS chargers $1 a gallon and premixed is the same. The cost of buckets and travel to the LFS will add up...
55 gl= $65.

10% water change every two weeks. $10 a month.

I add 2-3 gallons every week for evaporation. Another 10 gallons a month. $ 10 a month

The first months will cost about a $100 with travel to LFS and time.

I recommend buying on.

I scored a deal on a 55 gal hex on CL with fluval canister and reef octopus skimmer.
Today's plan -rearrange the living room and place the tank in its new home.

Then I need to get started. I do not have a ro/di unit so... does that mean I need to hual 55 gals of water in from the lfs?

You will have to haul. :( But the good news is that with the water displacement from the sand and rock that I'm assuming you have, you won't need 55gal. Probably more like 35-40. Silver lining, baby!! Haha

Back
Top Bottom