Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2003, 03:23 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm, that sounds cool. I am an avid fisherman and always will throw my cast net for hours, I would like to bring home some shad, but I think the water in my tank is too high so I wont. I will most likely have some pics of about 3 5 gallon pails full of minnows, and other bait fish while I am sitting on the peir.

Any one else here like to fish and keep fish?

Old 06-05-2003, 03:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
My dad used to catch baby brook trout and put them in his tank. They all invariably picked up carpet surfing as their favorite sport.

Old 06-06-2003, 06:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to WuRtZLeSs Send a message via MSN to WuRtZLeSs
Of course ff, I apologize if I didnít make it clear to begin with Ė the only reason I do catch fish is because itís within Hawaii state law. After our conversation a couple of days ago I also decided to pick up an informational pamphlet to hopefully further what I believed was true. Itís illegal to set traps that are left unattended and what not, however it is legal to catch fish with hand-nets, although you are allowed no more then 4-5 per dive. I couldn't agree more, it is important to know the state law before trying to attempt to catch fish.

I have never caught more fish then I needed nor have I attempted to sell them.

In our conversation the other day we talked about how you found it odd that while your not allowed to take coral/live rock in Hawaii, you can take fish. And I thought about it somewhat, and even looked on my own practices of obtaining fish. I agree that while it hurts the environment (however small) to take even one Tang or Butterflyfish, I feel that it canít possibly hurt more then practices in places such as the Philippines where tropical aquarium fish are caught by the bucket-load.

And yeah, heh Ė I donít think youíll be able to catch tropical fish on the North Carolina coast..
WuRtZLeSs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 02:00 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Bill1977
I am going to Ocean City at the end of this month. Does anyone think there will be any fish there that I can put in my reef tank?
Old 06-07-2003, 07:36 AM   #15

I caught the 3 Blennies I have in my tank, all alive and doing quite well..I call them my little piggies...They eat anything I put in the tank..I even caught one eyeing a carrot I was eating so I mashed a little piece up and dangit it ate it right out of my fingers...Rabbit? crazy...but, fun to watch.....
Old 06-07-2003, 11:21 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I live in Panama City Beach, Flordia, right on the Gulf of Mexico. One of the big reasons I would love a SW tank is because of this. Everytime I go snorkeling and diving I see tons of sea life. When I look at the prices of sw fish I just think how glad I am that I live here and can catch them all in the wild.

Of course I don't have a sw tank so it really doesn't matter. Maybe down the road when I master fw I will move to sw.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:59 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm going to the beach also !!! Florida ( Clearwater beach)

I'm heading out in the morning for Florida ( man i dred that drive 15 hours ) I'm hoping I can also get a few critters for my tank No fish though I only get my fish from a well respected source . I get my fish at a store in Cincinatti , Oh. (just about fish ) These guys really know there stuff , but of course I have learned much of what I know from this forum , thanks to all the great pple in here Man I can't wait to get there 8)
Old 06-07-2003, 02:20 PM   #18

Where in Florida you comin to?
Old 06-07-2003, 05:14 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
I'm going to the keys on a honeymoon in two weeks! I can't wait, I've never been anywhere tropical so it should be cool to see coral reef. Hehehe...maybe that's not such a good idea...I might like what I see and decide, to my new wife's dismay, that I want a reef tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com